Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: bead filter back pressures?

MCA

bead filter back pressures?

Good chance I will be changing out our two Nexus for pair of Cetus followed by a bead filter. This results from a long story about trying to teach folks how to maintain our pond when are gone. No I will not repeat the messy details.

Anyway, it has been 10 years since I had a beadfilter. So for those with bead filters...with beads (not K1 or other open media).....what is your backpressure when the filter is clean and much does it climb before you know you need to backwash it?

I am trying to plan just how much horsepower I will need in the water pumps. And that will be largely driven by the bead filter backpressure.

BTW, we are keeping the BH showers.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Tategoi
    The policy of backflushing bead filters 'when they need it' has been around from the introduction of bead filters to the hobby.

Using a cetus for primary particle removal will leave you with particles of 200nm or less. Of this, the majority will be fines of 50um or less. Bead filters will catch anyshere from 30% of the larger fines down to 10 or 15% of the finer particles. (They are caught by impacting the media which has a fine coating of slime.) 40% of these fines will be decomposed in 24 hours and 100% in 72 hours. If you want to deal with these, you will need to dump every day. Some filters are designed to dump several times a day.

If you hand feed or look into your koi every day, that's not a big problem to do. On the other hand, many pond owners only dump once or twice a week but that's not considered optimum by leading aquaculturalists.

Don't worry about the impact on the bacterial colony. Fluidized sand filters never have a problem and the sand media in these filters are scoured 24/7.

MCA
    Thanks Rich. I had an Aquadyne 2.2 on our small pond in Plano 10 years ago. I got rid of it when we moved to Atlanta to a larger pond that had two BD circuits. So I had forgotted the backpressure range from it. After talking to others it seems as if I should plan around 5 PSI when it is clean. That lets me plan the pump needed to keep the flow rate in the 4000gph range to match the Cetus. Granted as the dirt builds, the backpressure climbs and the flow rate slows.