Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cetus flow rates question

MCA
    This past weekend I finally got the winter redo...done. In the photos you can see on the left of the filter pit is an Aquadyne 4.4 bead filter feed by an ES8500 pump that is fed by a Cetus sieve which is fed by a BD. Backpressure is around 4psi to the TPRs (behind the filters). On the right side of the filter pit is another Aquadyne - ES8500 - Cetus combo connected to the seond BD.

On top of the Cetus units are extremely expensive covers. This are thin plexiglass sheets in a standard size at Home Depot. They were around $13 each. There is shot of the inside of one of the Cetus to show why has been collected in the past couple of days.

On the extreme right of the filter pit is a 1/8 Wave pump (for winter use only) that is fed by the 3" pipe from the skimmer. That pump feeds the EVO 110 UV mounted on the shower stand. The output got into a manifold that either does winter bypass (current) or feeds the waterfall box or showers. In the spring I will complete the connections to the waterfall box and showers. When I do that I will replace the 1/8HP pump with my 1/2HP WAVE II pump. That pump can definitely push serious water to the tops of the two showers.

I made some custom electric boxes for the bead filter installations. They are based on quad plastic enclosures. Inside on the left is a rocker switch and receptacle below. On the right side of the box are two receptacles. The switch turns on/off the two receptacles on the right. The receptable below the switch is always on. The logic for that is the single unswitched receptacle is where I plug in the air blower on the bead filters. Those blower motors have their own on/off switch. The two switched receptacles are for the water pump and any future UV unit dedicated for that circuit.

The last shot is few of the kids....looking for food....always looking for food.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cetus flow rates question-img_9021.jpg   Cetus flow rates question-img_9022.jpg   Cetus flow rates question-img_9023.jpg   Cetus flow rates question-img_9024.jpg   Cetus flow rates question-img_9027.jpg  

Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Nisai
    See i really like this set up alot. I want to set up around the same thing but I want it to be all hidden under the deck. and my pond might be a little smaller than yours, 5-7k. so the shower filter is your only source of areation? and also are thoses showers placed to trickle back into the pond open surface or the return pumped back? btw your fish are beautiful

MCA
    Putting a tall shower under a deck could be a problem. You would have to either gravity feed the top and pump from the bottom.....or ....pump to the top and pump from the bottom back to the bottom. Both scenarios would be a PITA to install and keep working properly. My shower boxes gravity turn to the pond via 3" pipes you can not see in the photo.

The aeration comes from air domes on bottom drains connected to 100lpm pumps, the aeration from the Cetus units droping water through sieves, and during the long growing season there are the two shower stacks. That combo provides plenty of aeration.

Have a good weekend!

I'm just seeing this thread.

Michael, why did you put those expensive covers over the sieves? How much of your pond is above ground. Your filter pit is very shallow compared to mine.

MCA
    The pond is 8' deep with 2' above grade and 6' below. The two plastic shower stacks were replaced by a single stainless steel stack with 2' x 3' trays that are 1' tall. They have around 100kg of baki house media and 40 pounds of crushed coral.

I put those $15 sheets of plastic over the Cetus units to keep out debris like falling leaves and reduce pit noise. The sheets are a standard size at Home Depot.

The pit was planned to give enough depth for Nexus to be installed and be around 1" above the bottom of 2" overflow port in the pond wall. That works out also for sieves that are around 1meter tall. I got rid of nexus due to their slow rates. I will replace the Cetus units with ultra sieve 3 units next month for more flow rate. They will fit just fine. I will post pictures when I got them installed.

The overflow and all back wash goes into the pit floor. The floor is 1' thick and full of #4 rebar to handle the weight of heavy filters. There is a floor drain the width of the pit that has two 4" lines that feeds the storm drain also used by my gutters. The only way to flood the pit is for the storm drains to be full (that would take a tropical storm) or I open a 4" valve or have a broken 4" pipe that dumps over 10,000gph into the floor.

Tategoi
    It's been a while since I looked at a sieve but can't you just add ballast to the weir to get more flow? If it's done right it will still track!!

MCA
    The restriction in Cetus is the 3" internals...not the width of the weir or the depth it it can drop.

Tategoi
    Oh, thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12