Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cetus flow rates question

MCA

Cetus flow rates question

For those that have Cetus units, did you install them with the top of the unit 6cm (2.3") under pond max level (overflow level), or the top of the unit even with the pond max level....or even below pond level so that the weir rises above the top of the unit when the pond is not pulling water?

I have seen a youtube video where an owner seems to have the until 3-4 units below the pond level...but where the weir does not overflow. He seems to get a flow rate in the 7000gph range with an high flow pump.

So I am just curious about Cetus owners have done in reality....not what the EA manual says to do.

The reason I ask is that Santa arrived early in the form of two gently used Cetus units stilling on the back patio. So based on how they are installed, I can plan max flow rates, and therefore the new pumps needed for the flowrate vs the filter and pipework head pressure.

Any info is greatly appreciated!!!
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

My manual say to set the top of the cetus 3/4" above pond level.

MCA
    Understood. But the lower you install the Cetus, the lower the weir can travel relative to pond level. The lower the weir goes...the greater the potential flow.

For my two BD circuts I will install the top of the units at pood overflow port level. Since my equipment is in a concrete filter pit with floor drains to the storm sewers, I have no problem if the pumps stopped and the Cetuses overflowed by a fraction of an inch. So I should easily get 5000gph through those two Cetus.

I am thinking of a 3rd Cetus on the skimmer circuit that feeds the BH showers. Right now I am sending around 7000gph to the showers. So the only way to pull that flow rate through a Cetus probably means installing the Cetus an inch or two below pond level. That means the weir would ride above the top edge of the Cetus when the pump stops. Based on what I can see about the bellows below the weir, the weir should be about to ride about the top of the unit without damaging the bellows.

I have seen the video on YT where the guy sets the cetus too low and yes you will get more flow but some water will flow over behind the wier instead into the screen.

I set the top of my two cetus 1/2" above pond water level.

how big is your pond ???? each cetus will flow around 4500GPH.

MCA
    Thanks.

Our pond is 10,000. So the intent is to do around 5000gph from each of the two BDs through a Cetus to a bead filter. A bead filter will replace the current Nexus on each BD. In addition, the skimmer feeds a BH shower at around 7000gph. So we will have plenty of filtration and should have plenty with the bead filters replacing the Nexuses.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Thanks.

Our pond is 10,000. So the intent is to do around 5000gph from each of the two BDs through a Cetus to a bead filter. A bead filter will replace the current Nexus on each BD. In addition, the skimmer feeds a BH shower at around 7000gph. So we will have plenty of filtration and should have plenty with the bead filters replacing the Nexuses.

not a pro but I have always seen the BD circuit feeding your main bio filter(shower) and skimmer circuit to polish water.

MCA
    But the shower is not my main filter. It is bypassed during the winter (starting in a few weeks). I have had the pond for around 10 years; the showers have been there only around 3 years.

In reality you will get the nitrogen load (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) from pond water from a skimmer or a BD. But you will likely get more bouyant solids from the skimmer and more less bouyant solds from the BDs.

Michael, you're getting rid of your Nexi b/c you can't train a monkey to clean it when youre gone? Is this the reason?

MCA
    That and I want MUCH better solids collection and removal.

Putting a Cetus and a bead filter on each BD circuit will much better fit our current needs. The shower already provides all the bio filtration and most of the aeration we need in the long feeding season. I wish I had known 10 years ago just how well showers perform.

So the BD circuits will now provide much better solids collection/removal and bio filtration. They will provide more than enough bio filtration for the short winter season while the shower is bypassed.

This is not a casual decision. This is based on 10+ years of koi keeping experience and having Nexus units for over 8 years. They are just not the best fit for our current needs.

I know someone in the southeast will be getting a bargin on Nexus units with lids, plenty of K1, bio chips, and air pumps. They will have to come over and fetch the units, I won't deliver them.

MCA
    Got the two Cetus units installed. One is now feeding an Aquadyne 4.4 bead filter. The second Cetus will also feed an Aquadyne 4.4. The pump on the bead filter circuit is an Evolution 8500 running wide open. The gauge on the bead filter says the back pressure is just under 4psi. So I am probably running around 4000gph through that combo. I will keep the showers running until New Year to give the bead filter a chance to get some bacteria started before the showers are turned off for the Atlanta winter (Jan-Mar). I hope to have the second bead filter installed before the spring thaw.

The pictures are of the filter pit, the two Cetus units, the bead filter, and what a Cetus collected in one day from one BD circuit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cetus flow rates question-_mg_8926.jpg   Cetus flow rates question-_mg_8927.jpg   Cetus flow rates question-_mg_8928.jpg   Cetus flow rates question-_mg_8929.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast