Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: D-Pond: A New House for Kisaki Soon II and Kate Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Koi-san View Post
    I'm glad you have made your decision, brother Vic.

Your Dream Pond is looking good. It will be cool to see a meter long Karashigoi swimming in your pond when it is done.

Looking forward to your update pictures.

Sanh
    D-pond `application` took a long time to get approved, bro. I'd jump in and swim with her ....

1st week wrap up...

Here are the updates for 1st week:
    - pond sharp and filtration have been formed.
    - 3x4" BDs, returned outlets, over-flow and pipe for skimmer have been installed.
    - Drainage for each filtration chambers have been done.
    - System drainage has been complete.

Filtration:

Cheers,
    Vic.

This will definitely looks good as a leader fish for your pond Brother Vic . She's 1.02 m long ...

Will send a couple of Kohaku up on the way as well when the pond is ready . Had reserved the Momotaro Sanke 2 for Brother larry , so can I leave the Momotaro Sanke 1 with you ?? I guess with current stock of 4 fishes , you can still take a couple more from my side right ??

Once your pond is ready , we will make all the neccessary papers with your friends to send the fishes across the Atlantic again ...

David

Nisai
    Brother Vic,

Can you talk me through your thoughts on how your going to run the pond and why? - no reason just interested.

There is very much here in the UK a tendency towards DEEP ponds and your new venture is the complete opposite. I'd love to hear your idea's on surface area vs depth (for the same gallonage).

Brother David - Amazing gesture. No more needs to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by ikoi View Post
    Si,

First, welcome to Koi-bito. Hope you'll find more valuable info that you're looking for and enjoy bito's. btw, how's your new pond doing? How big is the pond? And how do you and the koi like it so far?

Thanks for the wish (i need it)!

Cheers,
    Vic.
    Thanks for the warm welcome Vic. My pond is about 20X10X4 feet, for about 4.5-5K US gallons. My backyard is tiny so that's as wide as I can go, but I should have gone another foot deeper for more volume though. I worry about racoons and herons in my area too. I will start another thread when I have some pics to post soon.
    Good luck again with your pond construction.
    Si

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post

This will definitely looks good as a leader fish for your pond Brother Vic . She's 1.02 m long ...

Will send a couple of Kohaku up on the way as well when the pond is ready . Had reserved the Momotaro Sanke 2 for Brother larry , so can I leave the Momotaro Sanke 1 with you ?? I guess with current stock of 4 fishes , you can still take a couple more from my side right ??

Once your pond is ready , we will make all the neccessary papers with your friends to send the fishes across the Atlantic again ...

David
    Brother David,

Saying `Thank you` would never be enough to express my immerse gratitude to you, brother!

I'm still in disbelief for the whole day and couldn't work. Your 1meter+ Karashigoi gift coming to D-pond is so exciting. The biggest Xmas gift ever. I've never seen 1 meter Koi before. She's bigger than me. She's so clean and beautiful with solid color, nice zipped-back and super huge. She'll definitely be a big leader fish for the school. She'll scare the local cats away.

With these 2 super nice Koi along with Kisaki II and NewSmile baby, you will turn D-pond to a nice local Koi attraction for koi lovers, brother David. i think all koi lovers would be excited to see your 1m+ Karashigoi. Looks like i'll be bz making oyster cookies next summer.

Thank you very much, brother David! You've been giving me so much already. These 6 fish would be enough for me. I'm so blessed, brother!

Cheers,
    Vic.

Quote Originally Posted by koiboi31 View Post
    Brother Vic,

Can you talk me through your thoughts on how your going to run the pond and why? - no reason just interested.

There is very much here in the UK a tendency towards DEEP ponds and your new venture is the complete opposite. I'd love to hear your idea's on surface area vs depth (for the same gallonage).

Brother David - Amazing gesture. No more needs to be said.
    Brother Greg,

Running this pond is simple. Water outlets from one end flow toward the other end where 3xBDs are. BDs are connected to 1st collecting chamber of the filtration. Then it will follow up and down flow through 3 j-mat chambers and a final clean chamber. Pumps will pump water from clean chamber back to the pond.

Attached is the Design from brother David that he shared with us before, so it's easier to visualize.

And the idea of surface area vs. depth (with same gallonage) is that:
    - koi don't need deep pond to grow big.
    - weather in California is not fierce, so water temp will not be fluctuated much.
    - shallow pond: easy to see and enjoy the fish.

Please share with us the deep pond tendency in UK if possible. So we might be find some justifications of surface area vs. depth.

Cheers,
    Vic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D-Pond: A New House for Kisaki Soon II and Kate Perry-ds-pond-design.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Si Van Nguyen View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome Vic. My pond is about 20X10X4 feet, for about 4.5-5K US gallons. My backyard is tiny so that's as wide as I can go, but I should have gone another foot deeper for more volume though. I worry about racoons and herons in my area too. I will start another thread when I have some pics to post soon.
    Good luck again with your pond construction.
    Si
    Si,

i think that's a decent size for pond already. it's 5x larger than my old pond. Looking forward to your pond thread.

Vic.

start 2nd week...

Here are the updates:

(please excuse the construction mess.)

Cheers,
    Vic.

Woww Brother Victor

I didn't realised that you still keep a sketch of my pond , but it's with this sketch that my Paul & Skylar's pond was designed and run . The directional arrows in the filteration chamber actually refered to the directional flow of the debris / fines and not the actual way water moves ... .
    It was also with the observation on koi movements over the years , that I decided to narrow the width of Skylar's pond for faster and shorter turns to induce more caudal movement which I hope will strengthen the lower portion of the fish as they grow . I guess this is also reason why we see most of the newer ponds in Sakai FF and a few breeders / dealers doing that for their new ponds . It will take years to prove this observation right ... .

Good job on your pond so far Brother Vic ...

David

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast