Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: D-Pond: A New House for Kisaki Soon II and Kate Perry

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ikoi View Post
    Please share with us the deep pond tendency in UK if possible. So we might be find some justifications of surface area vs. depth.

Cheers,
    Vic.
    Brother Vic,

I can only share anecdotal thoughts but in recent times here in the UK we have seen a trend towards deep ponds. With a few heading towards 7-10 feet deep and the theory behind this is that deep ponds are good for developing / keeping koi's bodies in shape. This is also linked to some (not all) koi keepers feeding sinking pellets to make the koi feed in the deeper water.

This has also led to other things in the UK hobby - feeding shelves (similar to the one in Momotaro's 1500ton pond) in some ponds for the koi to "rest" on without having to use the full deep section.

I think this also maybe has something to do with hobbyists wanting gallonage in their ponds. I suspect "in general" we have less garden space for our ponds here in the UK than the US for example so we do not have such room for surface area.

Also in general our climate is cooler - we are currently getting 3 to 6 Deg C daytime temps at the minute and the pond boiler is running a lot more than a few short weeks ago. We will also get some snow at some point i suspect.... so shallow ponds here (especially if unheated) would be susceptible to temp swings much more.

There has in maybe the last 12months been a slight change in this due to something being talked about here... In VERY DEEP ponds there is talk that air pumped in via a bottom drain diffusers under quite high pressure can cause swim bladder issues in the koi in the pond. We have seen here in recent times air diffusers capable of handling 400lpm of air through them which is excessive i think??? I have no scientific backing for the "swim bladder" claims but it was a hot topic on UK koi forums over the course of the last 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Woww Brother Victor

I didn't realised that you still keep a sketch of my pond , but it's with this sketch that my Paul & Skylar's pond was designed and run .
    Good job on your pond so far Brother Vic ...

David
    Brother David,

It's been a while since you shared that sketch with us. When i saw it, i liked and saved it and wished one day "if" i build a new pond, i'll use this design. ...and now i'm really building one, D-pond. Can't wait to see it in actions in just a few more days.

Cheers,
    Vic.

Quote Originally Posted by koiboi31 View Post
    Brother Vic,

I can only share anecdotal thoughts but in recent times here in the UK we have seen a trend towards deep ponds. With a few heading towards 7-10 feet deep and the theory behind this is that deep ponds are good for developing / keeping koi's bodies in shape. This is also linked to some (not all) koi keepers feeding sinking pellets to make the koi feed in the deeper water.

This has also led to other things in the UK hobby - feeding shelves (similar to the one in Momotaro's 1500ton pond) in some ponds for the koi to "rest" on without having to use the full deep section.

I think this also maybe has something to do with hobbyists wanting gallonage in their ponds. I suspect "in general" we have less garden space for our ponds here in the UK than the US for example so we do not have such room for surface area.

Also in general our climate is cooler - we are currently getting 3 to 6 Deg C daytime temps at the minute and the pond boiler is running a lot more than a few short weeks ago. We will also get some snow at some point i suspect.... so shallow ponds here (especially if unheated) would be susceptible to temp swings much more.

There has in maybe the last 12months been a slight change in this due to something being talked about here... In VERY DEEP ponds there is talk that air pumped in via a bottom drain diffusers under quite high pressure can cause swim bladder issues in the koi in the pond. We have seen here in recent times air diffusers capable of handling 400lpm of air through them which is excessive i think??? I have no scientific backing for the "swim bladder" claims but it was a hot topic on UK koi forums over the course of the last 12 months.
    Brother Greg,

Thank you for sharing the valuable info with us.

I might think hobbyists in UK in general would like to increase the gallonage, but have limited space. And the only way to increase it is going deeper. Let's say... if they have more space, would they still go deep for the ponds or rather shallower (of course with same gallonage)? Also, cooler temp might be a real factor for the idea behind going for deeper ponds. If temperature allows and doesn't fluctuate much, would they still go for deeper ponds?

About feeding koi in deeper water, I'm not sure if it really helps koi develop nice bodies since i usually see mud ponds are kind of shallow and koi develop very well after growing seasons. I have no experience in these, so hope someone can shed us some lights and share their observations with us.

For me, it's always nice to talk to pp in different parts of the globe to share this hobby since i can learn a lots of new things. During winter time there, do you usually have boiler running to keep the koi warm there? or you move them in house? I know that brother David or other brothers in SE Asia have their chillers running during summer time to keep the Girls chilled. It's fortunate for us that the weather in California is good for Koi during the year, so we don't need either boilers or chillers.

Cheers,
    Vic.

Now it looks little like a pond... (please forgive me the construction mess.)

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ikoi View Post
    Brother Greg,

During winter time there, do you usually have boiler running to keep the koi warm there? or you move them in house?

Cheers,
    Vic.
    Brother Vic,

I personally use my house boiler with a zone valve so that the house and pond can both call for heat at the same time. I have 35mm 7 wall polycarb covering the pond and this keeps it well insulated in winter with snow being able to sit on the top of it. The other night my pond was at 21deg C and there was frozen frost on the top of the polycarb so it works efficiently i think.
    I will hold summer temps till xmas day and then drop the temp to 12deg C for 12 weeks till the beginning of April and the koi stay in their outside pond during this time.

I think that the minority of koi keepers here in the UK heat there ponds. I suspect the same as anywhere else in the northern hemisphere that the majority of koi are not kept so pampered as to be in heated ponds. (but this is a whole other subject not for your great pond build thread).

Keep the pictures coming of your build - You going to Block build it or will it be "shotcrete" as i seem to see a lot of ponds done in the USA like this?

week 3 updates

Here's the update on the D-pond...

Also dismantled the old pond which was at the corner and sent the fish to one of the brothers' place (Dr. David Tran) who is helping me nurture the babies during this construction. They're enjoying their vacation there.

Cheers,
    Vic.

Brother Vic,

Your D-Pond is looking good! I'm looking forward to see it fill up with water soon.

Sanh

Quote Originally Posted by Koi-san View Post
    Brother Vic,

Your D-Pond is looking good! I'm looking forward to see it fill up with water soon.

Sanh
    Thanks brother Sanh. It's getting close...

Filtration...

Building chamber walls for the filtration...

Here's the filtration with 5 chambers Hope it can handle the Sumo baby.

Cheers,
    Vic.

Simple and constructive Brother Vic

I love the simplicity you did on the up/down partitions with hollow blocks . Very constructive indeed . I should have thought of that ... I used thick wooden board with fiber glassing to do the separation wall which is relatively unsafe while filling up the chambers with water .

Good job ...

David

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast