Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: D-Pond: A New House for Kisaki Soon II and Kate Perry

Glad that you like the hollow blocks for the chamber walls, brother David. At first i didn't know what to use to make these up/down walls, but finally settled with these hollow blocks and little rebars inside. I think it looks almost the same as your filtration, but little smaller size and yours looks nicer hehe.... This filtration is bigger than my old pond.

Thanks for encouraging, brother David.

Here's the update... Now.. this looks like a swimming pool for... Koi. We'll see the water very soon.

Cheers,
    Vic.

Nisai
    Brother Vic,

Coming along nicely.... I have two questions.

Can you show in close up pics or talk us through how you built the blocks / kept them raised up to create the "under" section of the filter flow?

I see the leaves in your pond - but i have not noticed a skimmer how are you going to deal with them and dust with your pond being at ground level?

Happy New Pond... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by koiboi31 View Post
    Brother Vic,

Coming along nicely.... I have two questions.

Can you show in close up pics or talk us through how you built the blocks / kept them raised up to create the "under" section of the filter flow?

I see the leaves in your pond - but i have not noticed a skimmer how are you going to deal with them and dust with your pond being at ground level?
    Happy New Year, brothers and sisters.

Let's get back to work.

Brother Greg - sorry for the late response (NY's hangover .)

To build the "under" section for the filter flow, we made a U-shaped wooden frame and built the hollow blocks and cemented on top and around it. Also putting metal rods inside while cementing it. After the cement is dried, we removed the wooden frame. And here's the picture inside one of the chambers. Please let me know if it's not clear, I'll climb down and retake it.

For the skimmer part, probably i didn't take the picture of it in previous pictures. I used the 4" swivel skimmer (bi-directional) along the side of the pond. Here's the picture of the skimmer. Tested out and it's working good so far. I'll need to get a 4"x6" reducer to cap the skimmer next week or so... to make it nicer.

In action position:

Cheers,
    Vic.

Bakki Shower

A few weeks ago, Dr. DavidTran gave up one of his stainless steel bakki shower systems in his 16k gal pond. We was dismantling it and moving the bacteria during the rain and got wet like .... a Koi.

Here's the bakki shower and a few boxes of new bacteria house.

Hopefully with the addition of the bakki shower, the fish will be happier.

Cheers,
    Vic.

Nisai
    Brother Vic,

Very clever and i can see fine how it is meant to work. Will you get enough water flow through the hole? what size is it - looks about 4" tall x 9" wide to me which i guess will be fine as i pull 11,200gph through 2 x 4" pipes in a wall here.

The skimmer ah yes i remember you saying now that you were going to do it this way now. Exactly the same as Brother David's pond. I only have one concern and that is the worry that the koi will injure themselves on it - especially if you have a male in the pond and get spawning by accident.

Bakki Showers - you will not regret fitting one i'm sure i run 2 x 3 tier on my little pond and they work great. How long before it all running full of water and your koi collection?

MCA
    Bakki house showers are a filter idea. I would suggest also a bead filter to polish the water.

Almost there...

Quote Originally Posted by koiboi31 View Post
    Brother Vic,

Very clever and i can see fine how it is meant to work. Will you get enough water flow through the hole? what size is it - looks about 4" tall x 9" wide to me which i guess will be fine as i pull 11,200gph through 2 x 4" pipes in a wall here.

The skimmer ah yes i remember you saying now that you were going to do it this way now. Exactly the same as Brother David's pond. I only have one concern and that is the worry that the koi will injure themselves on it - especially if you have a male in the pond and get spawning by accident.

Bakki Showers - you will not regret fitting one i'm sure i run 2 x 3 tier on my little pond and they work great. How long before it all running full of water and your koi collection?
    Brother Greg and all,

Thanks for the compliment, brother. The hole at the bottom of the partition walls looks small, but it's actually big, 6"x14". Thus the flow should be more than enough.

For the skimmer, it's like the one used in brother David's pond. I hope Koi won't get injured on it though. I'm trying to put an all "female-filter" in the pond, so no male is allowed.

I always wanted to use the bakki shower for a long time as i've usually seen them on videos. Luckily one of the brothers, DavidTran, gave me this bakki shower. It's great to hear from you that the bakki show works greatly and helps a lot. Here's the final look of the filtration - just got the wooden cover on top of it.

I filled the pond the 1st time and it's been running over a week now. I plan to completely drain it out, clean up and stock j-mat, diy sieves like the ones that you've seen in brother David's videos, etc.. this weekend. After that i'll mineralize the water and bring the Babies home. Probably in 2 more weeks. Can't wait...

Brother David - I went to see the babies last weekend. Kisaki Soon II looked super awesome. Probably the FD/cookies kicked in. Will get a new updated video when bringing them home after their vacation in 2 weeks. They're swimming a long with this Showa.

Here's the pond...(where's the fish?) Need to add some green around the pond too, but that can be done later when spring comes.

Just got this air-tube and will set it up this weekend... They will be 2x10ft air-tube along a side of the pond to generate little turbulence for the Girls to play with.

Cheers,
    Vic.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Bakki house showers are a filter idea. I would suggest also a bead filter to polish the water.
    Thanks MCA! I might add it in if it needs it.

Vic.

Nisai
    Very cool Brother Vic,

I look forward to the video's you produce for us of the koi being put into their new home and then of them swimming around.

You then just need to become video editing expert like brother David so we can continue to enjoy your koi and pond on the "lets see your koi thread"

That is looking sweet Vic! That's a good size pond! Your filter set up looks big and good too. But your pump might be too high above ground? Your neighbor is going to love you too , with that bakki shower right next to his bedroom window. I am trying to find a spot for a bakki shower in my pond setup too. Keep the pics coming Vic.
    Si

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast