Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: moving!

Nisai
    well I can see this turning into a large debate and I am always up for that but I dont want to start a war. Heres the thing. Money is high but its not unlimited. I would just like a fully functional pond that I wont regret not going bigger or adding more inline filtration in the future (I hear that ALOT) so Im always up for suggestions, pointers, pictures. I would like the system to be streamline. modern looking. No lines showing, no filters showing. out of sight. So thats why i want to dig a chamber next to the pond. Ive seen a few pics of this but nothing with real details. as far as filteration Im all ears. Right now i have a bog, mats, sand, bio, and 2 rock filters(all probably too small for my set up) so I would like to do it acurate and right the first time. where I live in South east Texas we dont really have pro pond builders. so again I say Thank you all for your input-and ill keep my success or failure updated with you guys so we can all learn more.

MCA
    I would not suggest a bead filter for the entire filtration plant. In the link below you can see I use bakki showers (the gray boxes) through the long feeding season (9 months). I will use the bead filters all year long.

Cetus flow rates question

As for open filter systems, been there done that. We had Nexus for 8 years in that filter pit and just replaced them with the bead filters.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    I would not suggest a bead filter for the entire filtration plant. In the link below you can see I use bakki showers (the gray boxes) through the long feeding season (9 months). I will use the bead filters all year long.

Cetus flow rates question

As for open filter systems, been there done that. We had Nexus for 8 years in that filter pit and just replaced them with the bead filters.
    Im going to look into the shower filter system. I've never seen one before.

MCA
    Quote Originally Posted by hulsey View Post
    Im going to look into the shower filter system. I've never seen one before.
    Update. I replaced my plastic shower boxes with stainless ones. I have ordered two Ultra Sieve III units to replace my two Cetus sieves for greater flow rates. BTW, you can order lids for the US3 units.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Update. I replaced my plastic shower boxes with stainless ones.
    Where did you get your stainless steel ones?

MCA
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Where did you get your stainless steel ones?
    Carl Forss at Flat Rock Koi. When he ran Kerin Koi years ago in Allentown, he was the main importer of BHM. He will build showers to order and has BHM for the showers.

think big

Looks like we will be selling my house moving to a new one soon. Im sure the new house I buy wont have an exsiting pond ill have to retro-fit like this last one so I get to start all over (AWESOME!)

So does anyone have any tips before I start my planning for the new pond? Im sure it will be concrete with a bottom drain but thats all I have decided so far. any suggestions on filter (easier the better) pumps, or anything else I might need would be awesome since you guys are the pros. Thanks!
    hi Hulsey, my advice is to think big, dig your pond as big and deep as you can afford / space and cash.
    THINK ABOUT BUILDING A PUMP HOUSE this can hide all the filters ,pumps etc. You will be able to have things at eye level where needed have a clean dry place to keep food,meds test kits or test instruments. All under lock and key to keep out kids.
    I like the semi raised ponds , think about adding insulation if you have cold weather and work out how much it will cost to run all these
    All the pumps work better and cheaper if they do not need to lift water. can be designed so that if pumps fail it will not drain.
    I would always go down the big is beautiful road,the bigger it is the less the fluctuation/ temp.O2 CO2 NITRATE NITRITE ETC.

Have you found a new house yet ? If no be careful that the garden is not 2 feet soil 50ft solid stone !
    Good luck and send us some sizes and a budget

Tosai
    Also the sieve....ive been looking at them vs a vortex filter. Vortex looks much easier and cheaper so why go to a sieve?
    If you end up doing a settling chamber type setup, I would opt for a radial flow separator over a vortex. They can be up to 40% more efficient.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123