Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: moving!

Nisai

moving!

Looks like we will be selling my house moving to a new one soon. Im sure the new house I buy wont have an exsiting pond ill have to retro-fit like this last one so I get to start all over (AWESOME!)

So does anyone have any tips before I start my planning for the new pond? Im sure it will be concrete with a bottom drain but thats all I have decided so far. any suggestions on filter (easier the better) pumps, or anything else I might need would be awesome since you guys are the pros. Thanks!

MCA
    One BD with air dome for each 5000 gallons. Each BD going to a sieve, then a large bead filter, then UV, finally to TPRs. Two skimmers (in adjacent corners on one short wall). They each feed a shower stack that returns on the opposite short wall. Allow for shower bypass for cold weather and maintenance. Each air dome will need a 80lpm air pump connection. Pick the water pumps only when you have decided on the filters and can plan the head pressures and know the desire flow (gph).

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    One BD with air dome for each 5000 gallons. Each BD going to a sieve, then a large bead filter, then UV, finally to TPRs. Two skimmers (in adjacent corners on one short wall). They each feed a shower stack that returns on the opposite short wall. Allow for shower bypass for cold weather and maintenance. Each air dome will need a 80lpm air pump connection. Pick the water pumps only when you have decided on the filters and can plan the head pressures and know the desire flow (gph).
    wow that a good bit of info...kind of stuck on trying to figure out what this looks like...have any refrence pictures?

Nisai
    Also the sieve....ive been looking at them vs a vortex filter. Vortex looks much easier and cheaper so why go to a sieve?

MCA
    A vortex works better the larger it is (48" minimum)and the slower the water spins around in the vortex. This give max time for particles to settle out. Consider that particles with negative to neutral bouyance will more easily settle out. But particles with neutral to positive bouyance are not going to settle out. Also consider that particle that do settle out are still in the water column until you flush the vortex chamber.

A sieve on the other hand has a much smaller footprint than a 48"diameter vortex chamber and it removes particles from the water column based on their size, not bouyancy. So if you have a sieve takiing out particle of 300microns or larger, and then run the water thought a bead filter that will capture down in the 50 micron range....you are getting very few particles returned to the pond.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

WAC
    Tosai
    They both serve the purpose of mechanical filtration (or pre-filtration) however the benefits of a sieve include:
    • Separation of solids down to 300 microns (or even smaller w/an upgraded sieve element)
    • Removal of solids w/o having the debris continually breaking down in the water column
    • Much smaller footprint for the flow-rate allowed
    • Decreased maintenance (relatively speaking) ... easier purging method
    • Additional aeration ... water splashing & turbulence as it falls thru the sieve element is yet another step in adding DO into the water column
    IMHO, having the benefit of:
    1. separating solids on the sieve element instead of festering in the settlement chamber/vortex
    2. keeping a smaller footprint are the 2 main stand-outs.
    Although everyone has their own taste & reason for having their koi pond ... I feel aesthetics in design plays a big factor & minimizing the view of the filtration & equipment allows for a more serene environment in viewing & enjoying the koi.

WAC
    Tosai
    ... So if you have a sieve taking out particle of 300microns or larger, and then run the water thought a bead filter that will capture down in the 50 micron range....you are getting very few particles returned to the pond.
    Well stated ... I believe a sieve & bead filter is an excellent "husband & wife" team in pond filtration.

MCA
    I found one cheap way to reduce the sound of the sieves and keep leaves out of them. At Home Depot I round thin plexiglass sheets for $13 each that are an almost perfect match for the top of a Cetus. These covers holds down the sound, keeps out additonal debris, and provides something of a mico climate inside the Cetus compared to letting the water lose heat to cold winter air. Yet, it is by no means an air tight seal.

WAC
    Tosai
    Plexiglass/acrylic is perfect for that purpose. It's amazing the amount of evaporation that can occur when a sieve is not covered.

Aqua-Forte's Compact Sieve comes w/a lid ...

moving!-img_9003.jpg

but the MIDI & UltraSieve III have their custom lids separate ... but a piece of acrylic panel is significantly cheaper!

moving!-us-midi-12.05.11.jpg

Nisai
    so what Im thinking is we will end up with somthing like a chamber in the ground next to the pond to keep all the filters, pumps, uv light inside. SO ill have the bottom drain going to the sieve-filter-uv light-pump-return. but this short wall that goes to a trickle bank? where and how would that work?

also Ive been looking at sacramentokoi plug and play systems but they are pressurized. so I wouldnt be able to use a sieve or vortex with a sieve right?

Im really just looking for a easy system that works well. back wash easy, and dosent take up too much space.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast