Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ETHAN25 Pond Build, Spring of 2012

ETHAN25 Pond Build, Spring of 2012

This spring I will be building a new pond. My employer which installs drainage tile in fields has offered to dig the hole for me, which should take a day or so. We moved to a new house which has a large backyard, so there is room for a small backhoe and trucks to get rid of the dirt.

I know what I want, but I can’t have what I want, as I was out of work for a long time and don’t have the money to spend on what I would need to get it done. The dirt in this area holds well so I do not believe I will need to build up the sides with concrete blocks, although, I would like to have a concrete rim around the pond so as to have a nice flat even surface to work with.

Here is what I currently own that I can put toward the project:

As many 55 gallon barrels as I need for free (Pepsi bottling facility in Quincy)
    Two 5500 gph external pumps
    One 3000 gph submersible pump
    Two 6” FloPro Skimmers
    One Laguna Skimmer system
    One Laguna Filter Falls
    Lots of 2” and 4” Pipe
    A 60 lpm air pump
    A 120 lpm airpump
    80 watt Aqua Ultraviolet UV
    57 Watt Aqua Ultraviolet UV
    Phoam phraxionator
    (2) 22” matala Rounds for 55 gallon barrels
    4 cubic feet of K1
    4” high quality spears ball valve
    GC BioTek 2.5 Filter- Max Pond Size 5000 Gal. TA50D with the new media here:

http://www.aquabead.com/Media/AlphaB...dia-p-276.html

My preference is to use everything I have and buy as little as possible as I have a new baby boy and my wife and daughter to care for. I’ll have to build a metal fence around the pond (hoping that will be my anniversary present from the DW!). I would like to purchase the following:

25x35 liner
    Two aerated bottom drains
    Something to use as a settlement chamber
    Smaller Ball valves can be purchased here in town
    Flex tubing for air lines to bottom drains

I will go on top of my garage and take a picture of the area the pond is to be in, so that you can get an idea of what space I have to work with. I prefer to have it in the back corner of the yard to correspond with wind direction of leaves blowing into yard, utilize the privacy fence already there to hide the pond a bit, and to have far enough away from house to not be an issue with water.
    The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

anyone have any suggestions as to how to organize my filtration?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    anyone have any suggestions as to how to organize my filtration?
    The problem I see is that 55 gallon barrels (30 gallons of media) are really small when thinking of any size of large pond. Couple that with a GC BioTek 2.5 Filter that is probably best suited for 2500 gallon pond.

Somebody will probably suggest making Kaldnes fluidized bed barrel filters, but the cost of the Kaldnes media goes against trying to save money.

One suggestion is to look for 300 gallon poly tanks

or 275 IBC totes

and make sand & gravel filters.

I prefer to have it in the back corner of the yard to correspond with wind direction of leaves blowing into yard, utilize the privacy fence already there to hide the pond a bit, and to have far enough away from house to not be an issue with water.
    I do not understand this. For me, I would want the pond close to the house and the pond contents preferably visible from a window. Why hide a pond unless it is some junky looking mess?

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I do not understand this. For me, I would want the pond close to the house and the pond contents preferably visible from a window. Why hide a pond unless it is some junky looking mess?

Privacy fence to hide from the neighbors. Not from us. It will be plenty visible....

we have small children so we want it in the back corner away from the house, with a rod iron metal fence able to be locked around it.

The problem I see is that 55 gallon barrels (30 gallons of media) are really small when thinking of any size of large pond. Couple that with a GC BioTek 2.5 Filter that is probably best suited for 2500 gallon pond.

Somebody will probably suggest making Kaldnes fluidized bed barrel filters, but the cost of the Kaldnes media goes against trying to save money.

One suggestion is to look for 300 gallon poly tanks

or 275 IBC totes

and make sand & gravel filters.

The bio-tek will be added filtration. I already plan on a fluid bed as well as a trickle tower with Ceramedia. The Biotek will be for added clarity.

I already plan on a fluid bed as well as a trickle tower with Ceramedia.
    I missed the "4 cubic feet of K1" the first time around.

The trickle tower with Ceramedia sounds good!

I am still having a problem if you are limited to 55 gallon barrels for containers.

I missed the "4 cubic feet of K1" the first time around.

The trickle tower with Ceramedia sounds good!

I am still having a problem if you are limited to 55 gallon barrels for containers.

a friend of mine has two of the 275 gallon totes if I want them, but they had an oily substance in them before.

not sure if I want to chance it. We have plenty of local farm and home type stores that sell the larger poly tanks, but they are pricey brand new. I want a sieve badly to reduce the amount of labor I have to devote to cleaning and draining tanks (as I would rather spend the time with the family enjoying the pond), but I just don't have the money yet to do it.

a friend of mine has two of the 275 gallon totes if I want them, but they had an oily substance in them before.
    Of course a person would prefer a "food grade" tote.

If a tote had contained cooking oil I think it could be cleaned and be safe.

My tote had a release agent for concrete. I cut the top opening and then I got inside with some hot water with dawn dishwashing liquid and cleaned and rinsed the inside a couple of times and it was very clean. No film noticed when I refilled it to look at the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast