Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Building code

Building code

I am coming up on the one year mark for my pond and will soon be competing in the CFL Koi Show soon. My thought at construction was build something low cost and fast to get my feet wet before deciding on building larger and more permanent. Well the feet are wet and I want more, so now I get into the tough part of dealing with codes and building inspectors.

This is more related to those in FL, but all input is welcome. My main question is how you deal with building codes. I hear in FL that they refer to swimming pool code for anything deeper than 2ft. By state definition in code, a koi pond is not a pool. Many aspects of the pond would also conflict with swimming pool code. My next pond I would like to get down to 4ft and have at least 4000 gallons. To get the gallons and stay within 2ft code is not going to happen as that would require a roughly 20 by 15 pond consuming most of my back yard.

My thoughts are that I should just fight with the city to get it outside of pool code with a few items remaining. GFI wiring, retain my 6ft fence (maybe go to 8ft when replaced), self closing gates, etc. I would argue the habitat needed for growth, health, competition, and impact of building something on such a large foot print. Wording itself is off and only loosly applied by word of mouth rather than written law and can also be argued. My biggest thing is I do not want to be forced into building a screen enclosure, put up a seperate fence, nor have to explain the pond and design to every inspector that shows up wanting a change based on their thoughts.

MCA
    I would suggest you talk to the members of the various local Florida clubs on the headaches of having a legal koi pond. Both Mike M and Henry C in the Orlando area should be able to offer good advice on what to do...and what not to do in regards to the local govenment agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    I would suggest you talk to the members of the various local Florida clubs on the headaches of having a legal koi pond. Both Mike M and Henry C in the Orlando area should be able to offer good advice on what to do...and what not to do in regards to the local govenment agencies.

I will take any information I can get from any local that has a similar issue. My job requires that I fight against cities, inspectors, contractors, HOA's, etc on a regular bases ( I deal with foreclosures) and I have gained a lot of experience with getting things done with minimum push back. I used it the other year to get the city to reduce my set backs by 80% for a shed. My case was heard and approved within 3 minutes. The key however is always having information on hand to use to your advantage or to play devil's advocate in preperation.

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
    My thoughts are that I should just fight with the city to get it outside of pool code with a few items remaining. GFI wiring, retain my 6ft fence (maybe go to 8ft when replaced), self closing gates, etc. I would argue the habitat needed for growth, health, competition, and impact of building something on such a large foot print. Wording itself is off and only loosly applied by word of mouth rather than written law and can also be argued. My biggest thing is I do not want to be forced into building a screen enclosure, put up a seperate fence, nor have to explain the pond and design to every inspector that shows up wanting a change based on their thoughts.
    My advice is to NOT get the city involved, but try and follow as many code requirements as possible.

Most of the club members I know did not pull permits for their Koi ponds. The ones that did... did not have a good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    My advice is to NOT get the city involved, but try and follow as many code requirements as possible.

Most of the club members I know did not pull permits for their Koi ponds. The ones that did... did not have a good experience.
    Better to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission?

MCA
    I asked our city if I needed a permit for a koi pond. The answer was no. I have no idea of what the engineer though about as a koi pond. I was not about to elucidate him.