Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Filtration question

Filtration question

I am ready to start my filtration upgrade now and had questions regarding pumps and bottom drains.

With regards to bottom drains, how do you determine the number needed? By volume? Every "x" ft?

As for the pump, my question relates to head height. Is this just the distance from pump output to the point where water returns to the pond?

MCA
    You can determine the qualtity of BDs by two seperate calculations:

• divide pond volume by 5000 gallons
    • divide square feet of floor by 200
    The first calculation allows for water to turned over in around 1.5 hours with a gravity flow of 3500gph. You mileage will vary.

The second calculation allows for an area of around 200 square feet to be serviced by one BD. But you also have to allow for pond shape. If the pond will be a free flowing shape created by gunite/shotcrete, you may need one or more BDs to preven any dead spots.

With a rectangular pond that is not more than 12' wide, the two calculations should hopefully be very close. Always err on the side of one more BD.

BTW, On the rebuild of our pond, I will make a change. Instead of one skimmer, there will two skimmers. They will be on either corner of the short wall that is opposite of the showers. Do 45 degree or radius corners wall to wall, and wall to floor to max currents and prevent dead spots.

http://www.atlantakoiclub.org/calend...ilteration.pdf
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
    As for the pump, my question relates to head height. Is this just the distance from pump output to the point where water returns to the pond?
    The head height is from the surface of the pond to where the water exits the pipe.

In other words, how high above the pond surface does the pump have to pump the water.

The following may be helpful;

How to Select Your Pond Water Pump by Drs. Foster & Smith Educational Staff.