Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New pond, Please Help?

A natural bog system is a very good way to clean a pond's water, but it can also ruin a pond's water very quickly if it is not maintained well. A bog system is best for very large ponds in very large yards, and it needs to be large enough so that you don't have to dredge it too often. A working bog system should be left alone for years, and it is very hard to design well, maybe even harder to design than a regular koi pond in a typical suburban backyard. Your pond (2700 gal - US Gallon?) is too small to require a bog. If you have room to include a bog, then you should have room to make a bigger pond. You can combine the bog with the pond so your small fish could have more room to swim. In other words, the pond itself can serve as your bog filter, if you really really have to have a bog filter. In a natural pond design, the bog can be a pretty, integral part of the pond design, and make the whole pond look bigger and nicer. If it is combined with the main pond, then one has to keep the big koi out of the bog or else your pond water will always be muddy.

If I were you, I would step back and look at your entire yard. You have to decide on the style of the pond first. Natural or modern. Japanese or English. Asian fusion or classical formal. Vietnamese clutter or Japanese minimalist. All important, because your waterfall design is based on your pond design. And you need some kind of waterfall because you will need to hide all your ugly plumbing.

If you worry about your kids, then maybe a natural pond design with a shallow area in front for plants (ie. your bog filter) and a much deeper area in the back for your koi to be happy, and get them swimming lessons now (for your kids that is). Kids can drown in a foot of water. I had to wait for my kids to be 8 and 9 and swam well before I could do my latest pond.

Now that I looked at your second plan, I see it that it will not work. It is not a good plan. There are many faults in it. Too many to list here. I would just simply vote NO and have you go back to the drawing board.

Like I said in the other post, start with looking at your entire yard first. Decide on a style for your pond, decide on where is the best place for your waterfall, keeping in mind the feng shui principles, squeeze as large a pond as possible into your available space, then plan the filtration system around it. The filtration system itself will require electrical and drainage lines nearby so you have to plan that too. If you have a small backyard like most of us in California, then I would suggest you NOT plan to dump your dirty pond water into the yard, because your yard will stink of fish and your wife and neighbors will not like you. If you have a big backyard with a lot of trees and grass, then water from your pond would be good fertilizer, as long as there is no salt in it. So you see, planning a koi pond requires understanding your entire yard.
    Sorry for the rant here. Good luck planning!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan Tran View Post
    I am thinking that I should going back to bog filter + Plants as my main filtration. Please see my attached drawing.
    Please give me your advise with choice of brands of pump, bottom drain, skimmer and settlement tank. I am willing to spend the money. My pond is going to be in ground and flush with pavement.
    See the following for some possible ideas;

New 5000 gallon pond

Tosai
    Thank you anh si for posting picture up.

I have been thinking about building a new pond for two years. I've been looking at many ponds but never has a chance to look at a real koi pond.

I have seen couple of koi pond here in Houston through craiglist (koi for sale) Their koi are so beautify they said they bought them from Kadoma koi farm (I have visit three of them but their koi pond was only two feet deep with a bunch of small pump and filter like terra pond orlaguna type with no skimmer or bottom drain just couple of submersable small pump and airpump in the bottom.

what I want is a pond that look natural with a few domestic koi not a square type modern koi pond but the water condition has to be clean and easy maintenance. The problem is that I never had any experience with koi that is larger than 14" long. The small koi seem to be easy to take care.

This is what I want.
    1. approx. 2500 gallon pond and it has to look natural with plants around but not in the pond. I have thought about it for two
    year before I start doing research.
    2. Fish load = 5-8 large koi (I had 7 small imported koi now 6"-9" long) and I want a new pond for those koi b/c I know they
    are going to grow bigger in the nex few year.

I don't plan to go deep in this hobby since I had experence with model airplane before (buy cheap buy twice). Started with three hundred dollars
    airplane then five years later end up with 20 models that cost $2000 each and crash every two months and I really regret about it. I just wanted to have some koi for fun but not for show. But I want to do it right.

Tosai
    HERE IS MY SITE PLAN (Please click on link below)

CLICK PHOTO TO CLOSE - Adjust Screen Bottom With myHome Edit Options

it's so complicated to post picture in this forum.

I attached the site plan for you again. It is easy to do. Just follow the direction closely.

You have a big yard! You should seriously consider enlarging the pond a little bit more. A good koi pond should be at least 4-5K gallons (about 20 x 10 x 4 feet deep). A healthy mature koi will be about 2-2.5 feet long, or more if you're really good. It needs at least 20 feet of distance to swim strongly.

I am from the Houston area. I helped my family built 2 ponds in Lake Jackson many years ago. If you are nearby, you should go and check them out.

Your idea of a bog might work! It could look nice as a second pond with a waterfall flowing down into the main pond. It could serve as a quarantine pond if you designed it well.

The water surface of your main pond should be at the same level of the patio, or higher; preferably higher. So the edge of the pond wall should be higher than the patio level. It needs to be at least a little higher than the patio level in order to keep the leaves and dusts out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New pond, Please Help?-siteplane.jpg  

Tosai
    again, Thank you very much anh Si.

I would love to convert my whole backyard into pond unless I dump my wife. This pond is the biggest that she's allowed. I told her it's only 1000 gallon. She told me do not expanded again in the next ten year.

Sansai
    Tuan, bring your wife to shopping and buy for a nice LV or Gucci bag. After that ask her again you pond size.

Tosai
    Cool, that's seems to work but spending that much money on LV then how am I going to have the money to build a koi pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan Tran View Post
    again, Thank you very much anh Si.

I would love to convert my whole backyard into pond unless I dump my wife. This pond is the biggest that she's allowed. I told her it's only 1000 gallon. She told me do not expanded again in the next ten year.
    Hmmm, is she good at math?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast