Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New pond, Please Help?

Tosai
    I think I am gonna have to pull the build until this October. I was planning to start digging next month b/c weather is still cool but seems like I still have a lot more to learn here.

Now, I have to figure out how to keep the water out of the pump section underground vault since my pond will be in the ground? My wife said go for concrete pond instead of liner.

Your wife is right! Concrete is better.

Maybe if you raise the pond wall a little, then your pump chamber will not be too deep. Then give it some good drainage and cover and it will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    ...The reason is for multiple bio-filters, in series, the first barrel filter gets the most oxygenated water and does more bio-filtration than the last barrel in the series which gets less and does less.
    Ok! I get it now. Thanks Ricshaw! I have 2 of these barrels that I am using as protein skimmers. These barrels are very versatile.

Tosai
    I did not know building a right koi pond can be more complicated than building an airplane. Looks like it's going to be a fun project for me. I will take it slow on this one before I start digging. I was almost digging my ground up last week then I found this forrum or else it's going to be a big mess now. Thank you for posting a punch of good info.

How much typically a DIY 55 gallon barrel filter cost? I found some on craiglist a 55 gallon barrel selling for $15 each. Per my calculation it's cost around $200 on tank 2 and 3?

I also found some filter media for sale here.
    http://www.koienterprise.com/Koi-Pon...-Mat-p-51.html

I found this site, I think it's pretty cool to learn.
    http://www.frpfiltertank.com/installation

Shoud this filter work for my pond? if it cost $1000 to build then I will buy this one. it looks easy to hide and maintenance. look like this unit dont need a uv light? so I can get away with $400?
    http://www.frpfiltertank.com/inc/sdetail/30/111

There's so much information and many kind people who are willing to share. I am kinda new here too, and I am still going through some old and new threads, and I am still learning stuff. It is endless. In fact, check out the Ethan 25 pond building that I just found here today and see some good ideas. Or just find the best pond design and copy it. David Soon's design here is what I would do if I start over.

You are finding out that the supplies are very expensive. The cost of a proper, complete filtration system is very high. That's why it does not pay to do a small pond. The cost per fish is very high if you have a small pond.

Are there any koi dealer in Houston? Houston is the 4th largest city in the country?! If there are, you should buy there. We all need to support our local businesses, in order for them to support the local clubs. Plus we all need to have a place to drive to and see koi when we are in the mood. It is dreary to shop for koi and stuffs online.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan Tran View Post

I found this site, I think it's pretty cool to learn.
    Litek Composites Corp. - Installation

Cool site! Thanks for the link. The filter tanks maybe too small for you though. You would need 2 of them at least. Their pond schemes show the surface skimmer and bottom drain going into the same line, but this does not work well. They kinda cancel each other out and the skimmer loses. I did 2 ponds with this set up. Not best. The settling tank would need to have very high flow in order to be sucking from both the pond bottom drain and the pond skimmer at the same time.

Tosai
    I think I recognized the different between koi and garden pond now. I think I prefered a garden pond with a few koi and gold fish with the design of koi pond filter. I am tired with my laguna pressure filters now that I wanted an easier system to clean up the pond.

we have some koi dealer here in Houston but most of the koi are singapore imported ($25 for a 4" koi). But what they recommanded is so different with people here in this forrum as in pond design.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan Tran View Post
    Thank you very much, I really want a koi pond now. No more garden pond.
    good move, you will not regret it.

If you going to do a raised pond then raise the pond to about 21" above the ground.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom View Post
    good move, you will not regret it.

If you going to do a raised pond then raise the pond to about 21" above the ground.

Tom
    I like this raised wall look too. Brings the koi up higher for nicer viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Van Nguyen View Post
    I like this raised wall look too. Brings the koi up higher for nicer viewing.
    It makes a perfect sitting bench for the yard. Raise just couple inches is more of a trip hazard and to raise it to 21" and use it as a sitting bench will not cost more.

Tom Nguyen

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast