Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New pond, Please Help?

So this is where the party is, all the brothers are here. All of them have seen my pond, Vipertom and Si both from SoCal have been to my house and saw the pond I have as well as Nguyen4 from San Jose, Ca.

It seems like I saw all of y'all recently, that's right it was at the Zna SoCal show a couple of weeks ago.

Tuan, here are some of my ideas:

Do not go with that piece of crap filtration the pet store guys recommended, it is not enough filtration for a koi pond. It like Your original idea like Si said too, have a settlement chamber or use a sieve. You must have a bottom drain though.

Don't filter your pond with a bog, too much wasted space, too dirty, too much maintenance, too easy to get unwanted pests in your pond.

One thing your wife said is right is to build using concrete but this is not cheap however it does not leak like a liner pond. Make your pond deeper, you will get more water volume for the same footprint, it's hot here in Houston, I would make it at least 6'deep. Keep 4' below ground and 2' above. Mine is 9' deep, and I have little kids but the pond is raised 24" so they cannot fall in, also I have a katch a kid net over the pond as a precaution.

Do your research, build it once and build it right and you will not regret it. Don't be cheap with building the shell it's what will hold the water.

Si, I resent the comment about VN clutter!

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    So this is where the party is, all the brothers are here. All of them have seen my pond, Vipertom and Si both from SoCal have been to my house and saw the pond I have as well as Nguyen4 from San Jose, Ca.
    I want to grow up to be just like you Ryan and win in every koi show.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Si, I resent the comment about VN clutter!

Hey, it is a real style don't you know? Sort of like California eclectic.

You ought to extend an invite to Tuan here to visit your pond so he can see how it is supposed to be done. But don't scare him with your unlimited budget. I think one can do a good DIY pond filtration system for a very low price, one that anybody can afford. Nowadays, that's what we should all encourage.

Nisai
    Tuan my name is Hai check your thread I think already lost that right??? you just want your pond simple right?? my point how much $$$ you want spend for your pond ?? you have kid that right. Take your time Pond bill 1/2 and 1/4 for filter with 1/4 protector for your KID. If your wife oKay.
    1- your pond have to have B/D
    2- filter your choice DIY or buy from Pro
    3- protect the pond from your kid

you have to know how big of the pond you want that you don't have come back and preditt the pond.
    filter if you want save money take time and find the best presolve of DIY FILTER example = S/g by birdman, Bakki shower or bead filter If you more cash.
    make sure get fend protect for your kid.
    don't go cheap with the fish pick 3 or 4 best koi that you really want or latter you have full pond off fish but you still want more.
    if you have more question let me know.
    start ditting when weather still cold best for you not ditt when weather to hot.
    with DIY filter and pump you can call steve (541)408-3317 his willing to help. With fish if you don't know what you want you can find or call PSkoi.com.

Tosai
    I’ve done a lot of research recently. I have come to the conclusion is that the most easiest and maintain koi fish tank is 2’ above ground level with a square shape. I have not used to look at this concrete square shape yet, it looks like a big concrete tank to me. What I like is a natural looking pond with koi fish in it but it’s almost impossible to maintain the pond. I guess what I have seen on youtube video with a natural pond, rock in the bottom and water lilies is just a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan Tran View Post
    I’ve done a lot of research recently. I have come to the conclusion is that the most easiest and maintain koi fish tank is 2’ above ground level with a square shape. I have not used to look at this concrete square shape yet, it looks like a big concrete tank to me. What I like is a natural looking pond with koi fish in it but it’s almost impossible to maintain the pond. I guess what I have seen on youtube video with a natural pond, rock in the bottom and water lilies is just a dream.
    A "Koi pond" can be above ground, in-ground, square shape, or natural looking... it does not make any difference as long as you have a proper filtration system. The proper Koi pond filtration system (there are many) does not care what shape the pond is.

It is recommended that Koi ponds have a bottom drain and NOT have rocks on the pond bottom.

Do not confuse a natural looking "Koi pond' with a "natural looking pond with some Koi in it". One is meant for keeping Koi healthy for many years, the other is just a natural garden pond accent that somebody put some Koi in.

This is an example of a "Koi pond" built to house Koi.
    Last edited by ricshaw; 04-09-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: added video

Tosai
    My pond size will be:
    2200 Gallon (12x8x3)
    Concrete all the way
    1.5' above ground level
    DIY Filter

I understand the pond is too small for adults koi but due the fact that this is what I can afford and maintain the pond.

Can koi stay in this size of pond?
    if koi can't stay in this size of pond then I have to giveup the project.

My pond size will be:
    2200 Gallon (12x8x3)
    Concrete all the way
    1.5' above ground level
    DIY Filter

I understand the pond is too small for adults koi but due the fact that this is what I can afford and maintain the pond.

Can koi stay in this size of pond?
    if koi can't stay in this size of pond then I have to giveup the project.

Tuan, every one has a different budget and priorities and yes, you can still enjoy a small pond. Don't expect get grow big fish but a bunch of little guys are fun to watch to.

here is one of my favorite little formal pond.

Tom Nguyen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New pond, Please Help?-forma1.jpg   New pond, Please Help?-formal-2.jpg  

Tosai
    Thank you very much Tom, that little pond looks awsome.

I don't plan to have a punch of fish anymore. I just gave away all my koi last week around 10" long that I had them from last year was 4" long. I wanted to have around 4 to 6 quality small koi and grow them into an adult. I wanted to keep them in long term. But I don't know if 4 to 6 adults koi can stay in this pond since these fish seem to grow too fast.

I wanted to keep the fish in long term. I need to know if 4-6 adults koi can stay in this size of pond or not. If adult koi can't be stay in this size of pond then I will have to giving up the build.

Thank you very much Tom, that little pond looks awsome.

I don't plan to have a punch of fish anymore. I just gave away all my koi last week around 10" long that I had them from last year was 4" long. I wanted to have around 4 to 6 quality small koi and grow them into an adult. I wanted to keep them in long term. But I don't know if 4 to 6 adults koi can stay in this pond since these fish seem to grow too fast.

I wanted to keep the fish in long term. I need to know if 4-6 adults koi can stay in this size of pond or not. If adult koi can't be stay in this size of pond then I will have to giving up the build.
    Yes you can keep about 5 koi in the pond you want to build give them about 500 gallons each and you should be fine, also keep in mind that the males will be much better for your size pond, they are brighter in color and smaller than females but can still grow well in your future pond.

Tuan, can you make it deeper? Same size but deeper is much better it is very hot here in Houston. This will not cost you much more other than digging it deeper and a little more concrete. Pm me if you want a contact number for a concrete guy.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast