Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New pond, Please Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan Tran View Post
    I wanted to keep the fish in long term. I need to know if 4-6 adults koi can stay in this size of pond or not. If adult koi can't be stay in this size of pond then I will have to giving up the build.
    Yes, you can keep adult Koi in a 2200 gallon pond.
    The better the filtration system, the better they will grow.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Yes you can keep about 5 koi in the pond you want to build give them about 500 gallons each and you should be fine, also keep in mind that the males will be much better for your size pond, they are brighter in color and smaller than females but can still grow well in your future pond.

Tuan, can you make it deeper? Same size but deeper is much better it is very hot here in Houston. This will not cost you much more other than digging it deeper and a little more concrete. Pm me if you want a contact number for a concrete guy.
    Thank you very much. I can't go deeper but I will have a covered. I've already dealed with a concrete guy he will pour my concrete pad and pond at the same time. I might need someone to do the brick pond wall or I might have to do it myself.

Here is my sketch. approx. 2200 Gallon
    Skimmer and BD will go to a chamber.
    What size and depth for stage 1, 2, 4 for this size of pond? it will be in square concrete box.
    how thick should I go for bottom concrete pad?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New pond, Please Help?-siteplan.jpg  

Thank you very much. I can't go deeper but I will have a covered. I've already dealed with a concrete guy he will pour my concrete pad and pond at the same time. I might need someone to do the brick pond wall or I might have to do it myself.

Here is my sketch. approx. 2200 Gallon
    Skimmer and BD will go to a chamber.
    What size and depth for stage 1, 2, 4 for this size of pond? it will be in square concrete box.
    how thick should I go for bottom concrete pad?

The bottom of your pond should be 12" thick, make sure you install a 4' bd, preferably aerated.

Each chamber must be at least 3'x3'x3', the bigger the better, you'll get more settlement and additional "extra" water volume.

Tosai
    Mr. Flounder. I started getting confused now with two different ideas and I don't know which one I should pick.

I attended "How to build a pond" at Nelson on I-10 last week for free. They tauch us how to build a koi pond with a bog filter and it seems to
    be so easy and cheap to build. They also have koi pond over there with a punch of koi in it with only bog filter as their main filtration and the
    water seem to look like crystal clear even with the visitor feed them everyday and they had no bottom drain just a pump in the bottom
    of the pond. I also ask them about the gravity fed filter system they said they've tried them all. To them the bog filter if
    do it right will work the best with a little budget and alot less maintain.

Mr. Flounder. I started getting confused now with two different ideas and I don't know which one I should pick.

I attended "How to build a pond" at Nelson on I-10 last week for free. They tauch us how to build a koi pond with a bog filter and it seems to
    be so easy and cheap to build. They also have koi pond over there with a punch of koi in it with only bog filter as their main filtration and the
    water seem to look like crystal clear even with the visitor feed them everyday and they had no bottom drain just a pump in the bottom
    of the pond. I also ask them about the gravity fed filter system they said they've tried them all. To them the bog filter if
    do it right will work the best with a little budget and alot less maintain.
    What is the full name of his business?.....it is "Nelson WATER GARDENS" and that's what they specialize in, water gardens with plants water lilly, lotus and cheap koi that they can sell you if yours get sick & die.

Don't listen to that BS, it does not work for a true koi pond. If you want a watergarden then OK, put plabts in it and buy cheap koi that will die often b.c of water quality.

PM me your phone number & I'll show you a real koi pond with gravity fed system and no plants. Hope i don't scare you though.

of the pond. I also ask them about the gravity fed filter system they said they've tried them all. To them the bog filter if do it right will work the best with a little budget and alot less maintain.
    Like I said in an earlier post; There are many types of Koi pond filtration systems. The bottom line is it is "biological filtration" that is the most important. Cost and ease of maintenance are also important.

It is up to you... if you feel most comfortable with the filtration system you saw last week... then follow their design.

If there is a Koi club in your area, I would advise visiting some of the member's ponds in your area and ask questions. I bet most of them would have (or wished they had) a bottom drain.

Flounder is right, Nelsen Water Gardens specializes in "water gardens", not "Koi ponds".

Sounds like you are still confusing a "water garden" with a "Koi pond".

You need to decide which route you want to go.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Flounder is right, Nelsen Water Gardens specializes in "water gardens", not "Koi ponds".

Sounds like you are still confusing a "water garden" with a "Koi pond".

You need to decide which route you want to go.
    I am a little confused. I felt like a dummy here.

A true koi pond is a pond without plants with expensive koi (show quality koi) in it?

A water garden pond is a pond with plants and some gold fish or baby koi?

So, I guess what I am looking for is not real. I wanted a garden pond with adult koi in it (I don't care about the quality of the koi) any koi is ok for me. I recently had a small pond and I had to give away my koi after one or two years and get new baby koi in. I don't want to do this anymore, I wanted to keep my koi in a long term which they will getting big. So, I am looking for a solution on how to keep big koi in a garden pond?

I am a little confused. I felt like a dummy here.
    A true koi pond is a pond without plants with expensive koi (show quality koi) in it?
    A water garden pond is a pond with plants and some gold fish or baby koi?
    So, I guess what I am looking for is not real. I wanted a garden pond with adult koi in it (I don't care about the quality of the koi) any koi is ok for me. I recently had a small pond and I had to give away my koi after one or two years and get new baby koi in. I don't want to do this anymore, I wanted to keep my koi in a long term which they will getting big. So, I am looking for a solution on how to keep big koi in a garden pond?
    For me, a Koi pond is an enclosed, recirculating, freshwater system designed for keeping Koi. In other words; a "pond for Koi."

A "natural garden pond," a waterlily pond, or a small water accent pond serve a different purpose in the garden. There is nothing wrong with any of the these. Koi can live in them, but not in the numbers that necessitate a Koi pond.

And yes, a big adult Koi can live in a big water garden pond.

Koi ponds can be designed to be an attractive addition to the garden.

I know plenty of people like you, people who only want a garden pond with a couple of Koi, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Many start out only wanting a garden pond with a couple of Koi in it.
    Then the "Koi bug" bites them and the focus changes from wanting a garden pond to wanting a "Koi pond".

At the top of this forum web page it says; "Straight from Japan... For the Serious Hobbyist!"

It sounds like you are a "garden pond person" asking for advice from "Koi pond people".

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast