Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New pond, Please Help?

Tosai
    OK, I got it now. I was always thought that a koi pond is a garden pond with koi in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan Tran View Post
    OK, I got it now. I was always thought that a koi pond is a garden pond with koi in it.
    I think you are still confused about all this. I don't blame you. You got a lot of different ideas from different people. All the ideas from the people here on KoiBito are good. You should consider them all. Here are some of my thoughts on your last plan:

1. A garden pond do NOT need a separate bog filter, because the pond itself could be the bog filter. The plants that you put in it will remove ammonia and nitrate in your water adequately if there are just a few small fishes and that you won't feed them too much, and if the fishes wont dig up and destroy your plants, and you will NOT feed the fishes in the winter when the plants died back. A garden pond should have a lot of plants in order to work as a bog filter and to look nice like a garden. The garden pond should have a big bottom drain for easy cleaning, but plan on clearing it up frequently because it will get clogged up by all the plant and mud debris very quickly. This bottom drain should not need a fancy dome on it; just a HomeDepot grate cover will do fine. The plants should be protected from the koi somehow because they will try to dig them up.

2. Your garden pond should not be square. It is ugly to be square. It should have some curves and blend in with your surrounding as much as possible. Put some space between your pond and your concrete patio so you could plant trees and shrubs and rocks around the pond to soften it up.

3. Your last filter plan is not necessary for a small garden pond with just a few small koi. It is too much. Your plan shows a surface skimmer and a bottom drain going into the same settling chamber is not good. They cancel each other out. You will not get good flow from either of them unless you close one occasionally.

OK, good luck. Over and out!

Tosai
    [QUOTE=Si Van Nguyen;195858]I think you are still confused about all this. I don't blame you. You got a lot of different ideas from different people. All the ideas from the people here on KoiBito are good. You should consider them all. Here are some of my thoughts on your last plan:

I had a chance to visit flounder (Nhan)'s koi pond last week. His pond, fish and water and filter system were amazing. But it's way over my budget.

For my budget, I am going to build my pond with liner and this is going to be a water garden with cheapy koi. I have already dig the ground last weekend. it's going to be 12'x8'x3', approx. 2000 Gallon. it looks too deep and big for me already.

My pond setup will be.
    Retro BD, I am going to use pipe boot method through the liner wall. I like this method b/c I can fix the leak in the future.

I am going to have both BD and skimmer line go in settle chamber with brush. The skimmer is going to have a valve to control the flow.

Why go with the retro bd? You only need to use it if your pond is already built and you don't have a bd but for your new build use a real bd, preferably one that is aerated.

There is not reason to fear the installation of a bd, if you do it right it will not leak. Some one back me up.

You cannot use a pipe boot in a liner you'll need a bulkhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Why go with the retro bd? You only need to use it if your pond is already built and you don't have a bd but for your new build use a real bd, preferably one that is aerated.

There is not reason to fear the installation of a bd, if you do it right it will not leak. Some one back me up.

You cannot use a pipe boot in a liner you'll need a bulkhead.
    Dude, I got your back!

Bottom drain installs don't leak if you do it right. put a nice bead of sealant down between the liner and the bottom drain. screw into place and you are done!

Duc

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567