Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New pond, Please Help?

Tosai

New pond, Please Help?

REVISED: I AM SORRY THAT I DID NOT TELL YOU WHAT KIND OF POND I WANTED. I WANTED A GARDEN POND WITH A FEW KOI, NOT A REAL KOI POND.

I had a pond for about 5 years. I had 6 koi about 1 year old, they're growing biger so it's time for me to build a new pond. I currently had a Laguna 2900gph + Filter + UV as combo when I bought it.

New pond will be about 2700 gallon. Meximun depth is 3' and I can't go deeper b/c I had kids in the house.

Here is my setup. (1/2 of surface under direct sun light in summer)
    Evolution ES4500 pump
    Easy pro skimmer with bottom drain built in.(see link below)
    http://www.underwaterwarehouse.com/E...er-p-1780.html
    4" easypro bottom drain (see link below)
    http://www.underwaterwarehouse.com/E...er-p-1604.html
    Since I had a laguna filter + UV and I am planning to buy one more that is the same as they are rated 2900 gallon each.
    Please give me your opinions or suggestion?

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan Tran View Post
    I had a pond for about 5 years. I had 6 koi about 1 year old, they're growing biger so it's time for me to build a new pond. I currently had a Laguna 2900gph + Filter + UV as combo when I bought it.
    New pond will be about 2700 gallon. Meximun depth is 3' and I can't go deeper b/c I had kids in the house.
    Here is my setup. (10 koi max)(1/2 of surface under direct sun light in summer)
    Evolution ES4500 pump
    Easy pro skimmer with bottom drain built in.(see link below)
    External Pump Skimmer - EasyPro Skimmers
    4" easypro bottom drain (see link below)
    4-in. EasyPro Heavy Duty Bottom Drain w/ Air Duffuser - EasyPro Bottom Drains
    Since I had a laguna filter + UV and I am planning to buy one more that is the same as they are rated 2900 gallon each.
    Please give me your opinions or suggestion?
    Thank you very much.
    I do not understand which "filter" you are using.

Is this the filter?

If it is... then my comment is it looks like an aquarium filter and not a pond filter (let alone a Koi pond filter).

Tosai
    Yes, my filter look like that. I am so glad that I ask the question before I make a purchase. But I don't understand why my local fish store recommanded me with this filter?

Does anyone know any website on how to make your own koi filter?
    What should be the right size UV clerifier for this size of pond?

My local fish store also recommanded to build a gravel bog filter with plants (30% of pond size) I know this will work but maintenance could be a nightmare? to clean up the bog but they told me that bog filter is maintenance free. I don't know if I should trust them.

Hi Tuan, you did one thing right so far, and that is to come here and ask questions BEFORE you started digging. Don't do what I did, which was finished the pond first then asked the questions.

The best thing you can do right now is go around and see other people's KOI ponds. Again, KOI ponds. One way to do that is join a local club and get to know its members well. The local members will be the ones to help you in the long run.

I would start with a plan drawing of the entire yard and pond, then submit it here or elsewhere, and get as many opinions as you can. A lot of the fun is in the planning and the anticipation. Enjoy the journey first. Avoid as many of the common mistakes as you can and that will make your finished koi pond so much more enjoyable, because you won't be wasting time and money fixing it so much, and you won't kill too many koi.

Good luck!
    Si~

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan Tran View Post
    Yes, my filter look like that. I am so glad that I ask the question before I make a purchase. But I don't understand why my local fish store recommanded me with this filter?
    Does anyone know any website on how to make your own koi filter?
    What should be the right size UV clerifier for this size of pond?
    My local fish store also recommanded to build a gravel bog filter with plants (30% of pond size) I know this will work but maintenance could be a nightmare? to clean up the bog but they told me that bog filter is maintenance free. I don't know if I should trust them.
    Not every employee at a fish store owns or understands Koi pond filtration.

See Birdman's Sand & Gravel DIY filter for ideas.

Tosai
    Thanks for your input. I am still learning on how to post pictures here. Please click on the link below for my pictures

CLICK PHOTO TO CLOSE - Adjust Screen Bottom With myHome Edit Options

The setup is:
    Evolution ES4500
    EasyPro Skimmer (build in Surface and bottom drain)
    4" EasyPro bottom drain
    40 watts UV Clarifier
    EasyPro Bead Filter (see link below)
    EasyPro Bead Filter - up to 3500 Gal - EasyPro Pressurized Filters

EasyPro Bead Filter = $825
    EasyPro bottom drain = $185
    EasyPro Skimmer = $228
    Evolution external Pump = $203
    Skimmer = ?
    liner = ?
    Total=$1441

Please give me your opinions.
    is there any other options that I could go cheaper?
    Last edited by Tuan Tran; 03-20-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Hello Tuan, I attach your plan here so people can see it a little better and hopefully would comment on it more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New pond, Please Help?-koi.jpg  

Looking at your plan I can see some possible problems. First, the combined surface skimmer and bottom drain in one device may not work so well. I would separate the 2 functions. Secondly, your budget is too low. You will end up spending a lot more than that. It is going to be hard to do it any cheaper than that. I don't know where you are in the world, but in the Southern California, there are many plastic water barrels for sale for cheap on Craigslist. The 55 gal drums can be used as filter chambers for many different designs, such as the DIY sand filter that Ricshaw posted above. That's a cool design! Here are some pics of the water drums. Some of them have lids which could be very beneficial to the design and usage of the filtration tanks.
    Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New pond, Please Help?-barrel-1.jpg   New pond, Please Help?-barrel-2.jpg  

Tosai
    Thank you brother Si Nguyen for repost the pictures.

Here is my new updated plan (click on link below)
    CLICK PHOTO TO CLOSE - Adjust Screen Bottom With myHome Edit Options

Since I had experience with bog filter + plants for 4 years. I thought it was a pain to clean the bog fitler + plants out once a years is too much work with 60 (2"-8" koi) in a 1000 gallon pond. I said around 60 small domestic kois, that's right, was given by a local koi hobby. but the water was crystal clear in summer time without uv light and change the water every three months, Since I did not know that I suppose to get at least 10% of water out once a week. My pond condition was only algie on the wall, then one time I changed the walter 100% and killed all the fish over one night. Then, I change the system to laguna filter + UV and pump I thought this system will kill all the algie on the wall and free maintenance but I was wrong.

I am thinking that I should going back to bog filter + Plants as my main filtration. Please see my attached drawing.

Please give me your advise with choice of brands of pump, bottom drain, skimmer and settlement tank. I am willing to spend the money. My pond is going to be in ground and flush with pavement.

Hi anh Tuan, I attach your second plan here for others to see. It's a pain to have to look at a drawing sideway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New pond, Please Help?-tuan-plan-2.jpg  

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast