Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Constuction dilemma

Constuction dilemma

We have sand for soil. I want to build the pond just off the deck which sits on brick pillars. How can I dig the side nearest the deck without it caving in and the deck falling into the hole?

The other 3 sides can be sloped but that side needs to be straight down, 5' to keep the pond close to the deck edge. The soil is pure sand so I wouldn't even be able to dig that side and have it stay long enough to put up plywood to hold it in place.

The pond will be concrete bottom and cinder block sides.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Just and idea, as I have no idea how hard it would be to do but, could you shove some of those aluminum bay walls into the ground? Like the ones marinas use to hold dirt from eroding next to shore line? Maybe you could shove it down 2', dig 1', shove another 1', dig another 1', and so on? Just a thought.

-Eric

Sansai

Thumbs down

[QUOTE=kntry;195878]We have sand for soil. I want to build the pond just off the deck which sits on brick pillars. How can I dig the side nearest the deck without it caving in and the deck falling into the hole?

The other 3 sides can be sloped but that side needs to be straight down, 5' to keep the pond close to the deck edge. The soil is pure sand so I wouldn't even be able to dig that side and have it stay long enough to put up plywood to hold it in place.

Good day Sandy

I had the same dilemma when I built my gunited pond next to my bricked drive way. I live on the Bluff, Durban, South Africa and had many sleepless nights working out how to build my pond next to my drive way as our soil is referred to as Bluff sand, And it was not possible to shore the sand back as I wanted a 2+ meter deep pond, it was a weekender DIY pond 1 1/2 metres from my brick driveway.
    I overcame the problem with a Eureka in the form of twisted faulty, dented, damaged Industrial Roller door blades They are made of heavy gauge metal, bent and slotted to slide into each other to allow the door to compact as it is rolled around the top axle. Our fork lift drivers are cowboys and a dented door will not open and close readily, so therefore door blades are continually being replaced.Your 5 foot hole wall would be no problem as I think most factory roller doors are 3 meters wide. You line them up next to your split deck pillars and hammer them in side by side with a fourteen pound hammer . You could lash a length of timber to the deck pillars at ground level and lash the top of each blade to the timber as you finish hammering them into the ground . You then start digging and check for any possible collapse as you go. These blades are the best thing since bubble gum, you will be amazed how well they work and it costs the price of scrap metal . I might be a bit late with my recommendation for your pond but somebody will benerfit I am sure

Cheers for now

Roy V.

Fry
    It is conditional proposition consisting of two or more simple connected by and or its equivalent

Fry

Constuction dilemma

It is conditional proposition consisting of two or more simple connected by and or its equivalent

Sansai

Construction dilemma.

Hi Tom 123

Is that reply, a construction dilemma OR an english lesson?

Cheers

Roy V.

Fry
    There really are a lot of consideration you should take if you are looking to construct a pond outdoors as it would be tricky on those types of weather that are going to the extreme.

And you should have some form of contingency plan if you are on those areas that are hit with icy waters during winter which would prove to be tough for them to actually take hold of.