Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: I want to?

Tosai

I want to?

Build a koi pond how do I build it should it be cement or pond liner what's better cement or liner and what about the pump,skimmer,filter , and plumbing thanks or should I get a Laguna pressure flo filter tell me. Hat should I use thanks a lot

MCA
    First learn the principles of a good koi pond system. On of the best web systems that talks about all the things to consider is
    A Guide to Modern Koi Pond Construction.

The best materials of building a koi pond would be either a concrete floor with poured concretes walls or block walls that are then filled with concrete. The sealant can be fiberglass (more common in UK) or any number of epoxy sealants, liquid rubber, or swimming pool plaster.

Many folks do not go with concrete/block/gunite/shotcrete ponds. Instead they put a EPDM liner (sealant) into a hole they have excavated. This is a very common lower cost approach. Realized that liners have a 20 year lifespan if they do not suffer an accidents, attacks from rodents...etc.

As part of planning a koi pond, join a local koi club where you can get practical local advice on building techniques that work best in your soil conditions, meet local building codes...etc.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Tosai
    hi MCA i am going to use a pond liner not cement how do i make a bottom drain on the liner ? and what is a air dome i might ask stupid questions dont mind that

MCA
    Read the chapter on bottom drains.

Pond construction - bottom drains

For a liner pond you trench from bottom drain location to the filter pit area. In the trench goes the 4" pipe for the water being drained from the pond and the 1" pipe that supplies air to the diffuser. You make sure the 4" pipe is dead level so that it does not trap air bubbles. Then you fill in around the drain and pipes with concrete to stabilize them and protect them from the pressure of the water above.

The bottom drain has a top that typically hold a rubber diaphragm (the diffuser). Back in the fiber pit you connect an air pump (40 liter or larger) to the 1" pipe so that the air pump delivers air to the diffuser. The rising column of air from the diffuser circulate water in a donut shaped current around the bottom drain. This helps bring water to the surface for gas exchange, sweeps debris on the floor to the bottom drain, and move floating debris to the skimmer (if the skimmer is in the right spot). All good!