Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pond filtration - nitrate filtration

MCA
    What new technology? there is nothing new in anoxic filtration. There are no new media, chambers, magic bottled potion....etc. This is simply a technique, actually a filter design concept, that relives on omni present bacteria to work in relatively low oxygen zones to do denitrification. If there is anything new in this, someone show me a new patented product. You can get the same from stacking up Cermedia blocks in a chamber as they point out on their website.

MarinePure´┐Ż Technical Information See tables for Nitrification and Denitrification.

Personally I don't need my pond nitrates at ~0ppm. Nitrates are just one type of pollution in a closed pond system. Water changes are the only solution to such pollution. Filtration and aeration simply buy us time and slow the decline of water quality.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

The key word here is "relatively," just in case you missed it, Mike. There's no need for a patent to be considered new either. And the technique, as you would call it, didn't just come out of thin air. It is the application of a biofiltration method as found in nature- in pond bottoms, for example- into our man-made pond and aquarium systems, which offers less nitrate by-product. As I understand it, Kevin Novak developed the system, and he didn't want to patent it, and so it is now in the public domain.

That you don't need as much water to be changed to maintain a desired target of nitrate concentration is a big plus. How much water you decide to change is up to the pond owner's own discretion, and in no way does that freedom reflect poorly on the anoxic filtration system. If you are putting too much focus on the danger of not making water changes, you are missing the point entirely.

In case you are not aware, places abound hat put great importance on conserving water. For them, I could see the use of an anoxic filtration system to be a boon. No surprise here.

Sansai
    Good day
    Have you gentlemen seen the drawings of a nitrate filter in Peter Waddingtons book, Koi Kichi published in 1995.

Page 60

Garfield

MCA
    Indeed a classic trickle tower such as in Clarity and many DIY designs.

"Once again, the problem of nitrates seldom affects the vast majority of Koi ponds and very few would have to consider incorporating this type of unit, I have included this for the benefit of a minority of readers."

Koi Kichi, Peter Waddington, 1995, Page 60

I had not gotten out our autographed copy in years. It was good to dust it off. So much in that book is still spot on. The big advances since 1995 have been in mechanical stage with sieves and RDFs plus the use of showers for bio. If only we could get koi keepers to read and understand this one book before they put shovel to ground. Thanks for the reminder!!!

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
    Good day
    Have you gentlemen seen the drawings of a nitrate filter in Peter Waddingtons book, Koi Kichi published in 1995.

Page 60

Garfield
    Presumable the Pro's are. We reduce the amount of Nitrates in the pond.

What would the Con's be?

MCA
    Cons of running a trickle tower? Cost of purchasing (i.e. Clarity) or making a DIY version. The small amount of floor space it occupies. A pump to deliver flow or part of the flow from another pump to deliver flow. Insulation to prevent freezing in the winter.

Water chemistry Cons? Can't think of any except perhaps heat loss in winter.. You will likely get some nitrification and/or denitrification effect either of which is positive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12