Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Returns????

Returns????

My current pond project has a great deal of curve to it. I was wondering the best placement for the returns,i was told that having them at opposite corners would create a swirl motion. I also have a feature at both ends of the pond,if I were to run returns from opposite sides facing each other,that would give astraight path of water flow. Was wondering what would be the best for the water flow.? Trying to get a picture to upload,i will add them to files,or make it my profile pic.( Bare with me everyone) All imput welcome.. Ghost..

I think people sometimes make too big of an issue with current flow in Koi pond designs.

Sure, you want to avoid dead spots and you do not want to place a surface skimmer next to a water fall.

In the long run, if you use some basic pond design common sense, there is not much advantage over a swirl motion vs. a straight path motion.

Returns

Thank you. Regardless of pond shape,as long as there is current, and something for fish to swim against. So it is all pond owners personal likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Koi View Post
    Thank you. Regardless of pond shape,as long as there is current, and something for fish to swim against. So it is all pond owners personal likes.
    I don't believe that there has to be a current for the fish to swim against. Like you said; "it is all pond owners personal likes."