Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My dream koi pond build

Sansai
    Well, I had to come check out your build after telling me you weren't to happy with your "gunite" pond. so was this actually gunite? when they did mine it was shotcrete, like it was all mixed at the plant and came at a 3" slump. Seems you only had 4"??? did they fix that? not sure, my guy done 12" thick through the whole thing... I told him I wanted it permanent. lol It sure shrunk up my hole, but I'm still happy... As far as yours, I think it looks ENORMOUS! Are you raising sharks in that thing? lol But honestly I think it looks great!!!! -Mike

They brought the cement in a truck and the truck pumped into some kind of hopper that they added water to and then sprayed it. They told me it was gunite????

Yes, I turned them into the BBB and they finally came back and added wire around the skimmers and shot the walls 12" thick about 18" high. The rest of the walls were already buried but they were much thicker than the top.

My pond holds right at 11,000 gallons, with filtration and plumbing.

Here are a few of the koi that went in the pond last weekend. I am an awful pic taker. They are much fatter than they look in the pics. The water was dirty because I was taking them out of the mud pond.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My dream koi pond build-yami-28-7-13.jpg   My dream koi pond build-quality-asagi-7-13-13-27-.jpg   My dream koi pond build-manic-monday-sanke-27-.jpg   My dream koi pond build-7-13-omosako-shiro-27-.jpg   My dream koi pond build-omosako-shiro-utsuri-7-13-13.jpg  

The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    They brought the cement in a truck and the truck pumped into some kind of hopper that they added water to and then sprayed it. They told me it was gunite????

Yes, I turned them into the BBB and they finally came back and added wire around the skimmers and shot the walls 12" thick about 18" high. The rest of the walls were already buried but they were much thicker than the top.

My pond holds right at 11,000 gallons, with filtration and plumbing.

Here are a few of the koi that went in the pond last weekend. I am an awful pic taker. They are much fatter than they look in the pics. The water was dirty because I was taking them out of the mud pond.
    Those are some good lookin FEESH!! I'm glad you got the upper portion ESPECIALLY the above ground portion of your wall thickened up. I'm not sure if you're in a freeze zone or not, but The way I understand it is that the top part and all the way down to your freeze line is called the "bond beam" and this part needs to be really thick and strong to with stand the freezing and the expanding and contracting of the concrete... So what kind of filtration you have set up on here????? -Mike

Freeze? What's that? I'm a Cajun country girl, southern Louisiana.

The pond walls were supposed to be 8" thick but that shoddy contractor I had made them 4". He used 16 yards of material, which is what it would have taken for 8" all the way around but he made the bottom and rounded corners so thick, there wasn't enough to finish the top.

2 aerated Koi Toilets, each to a Cetus sieve, to a 5500 gph Evo pump to and both to a 4 tray Birdman shower with 650 lbs. of feather rock, to a 3' wide waterfall.

4 skimmers, 2 tied together to a 4500 gph Evo pump then split again each to a S/G filter to 4 TPR's. I'm going to plumb the 2 S/G that go to the 2 middle TPR's into the shower catch basin and then put a 6500 gph pump on them because there is almost no flow to the TPR's. Gravity flowing about 60' to TPR's 4' deep isn't working very well.

The pond walls were supposed to be 8" thick but that shoddy contractor I had made them 4". He used 16 yards of material, which is what it would have taken for 8" all the way around but he made the bottom and rounded corners so thick, there wasn't enough to finish the top.
    With no bond beam at the top for strength?

What is a bond beam?

There is 00 highway mesh in the original pour. When he came back and added the 8", he put wire mesh and drilled rebar into the original pour before shooting the additional 8".

He also sprayed something on the original wall to make the new gunite adhere to it. He probably would have just sprayed the new gunite without doing anything but I told him how it was going to be this time, in no uncertain terms. He didn't want to listen to me the first time because I'm a woman. He thought I was stupid. He wouldn't talk to me or ask me questions but he would my husband who knew nothing about what needed to be done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My dream koi pond build-1-21-13-wire-widen-walls-12-.jpg  
    Bobby likes this.

What is a bond beam?
    I provided a link in #15.

Usually a bond beam is a horizontal layer of continuous steel reinforced concrete around the top perimeter of the walls to increase the strength.

With a shotcrete or gunite pond, the top 6" of the pond wall is the bond beam and is typically thicker than the rest of the pond walls.

Nope, he didn't do that either. Surprised. NOT.

Sorry to hear you have had 'problems' with builders, just no fun !
    I like to do as much myself as possible, but you do need help ! Second pair of eyes always a plus.
    I am a bit annal when it comes to concrete , thicknesses, finish size of gravels all can have an effect on ultimate stability and finish of pool!
    Twin poor for base , with reinforcement steels Block work walls, insulation it goes on !

As with any project detailed planning,quality trades men best materials you can afford and that bit of LUCK !!!!!!
    Brian

MCA
    He wouldn't talk to me or ask me questions but he would my husband who knew nothing about what needed to be done.
    You should have thrown his sorry a$$ off the property.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast