Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cetus weir float problem

MCA
    I cleaned both Cetus screens and inside wall surfaces with a firm nylon brush and let the inside soar in a strong PP solution for an hour. Then I blushed out both units and put them back into service. One Cetus was behaving normally. The other had continued to fill with water from the pond during the soak period even with the weir topped out. I did not see any water escaping around the top of the bellows. I conclude that the bellows and/or clamp are letting in water at the connection to the float. I will not know that for sure until I remove the screens and look/feel for leaks.

My Cetus units are older second hand units. They do not have the knob/handle on the screen at the bottom. So do I remove the screen by prying it out from the bottom with a thin slotted screwdriver or, do I remover the screws and metal plate at the top of the screen?

Has anyone had to replace a bellows and/or clamp? Being short, I will likely have to remove the Cetus, set it on its side, and slide inside to do the work.

If I do replace the clamp, should I insert a 8 1/4" piece of 3" pipe stint inside the bellows to prevent bellows collapse?

Any and all feedback welcome!
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

MCA
    I ordered new bellows from EA in the UK. No one had them in the States. So will replace the bellows and put in the stints as part of spring prep in March.

MCA
    EA shipped my bellows this week. I will put do the swap after I put the showers back on line at the end of March.

MCA
    Bellows and March issue of Koi Carp arrived today.

investigating replacing shower trays when replace Cetus bellows. It will be an interesting Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Bellows and March issue of Koi Carp arrived today.

investigating replacing shower trays when replace Cetus bellows. It will be an interesting Spring.

Whatcha thinking bout???

MCA
    I have a new set of shower trays coming by the end of the week. It will be a 316 stainless steel stack of 4 trays and catch basin with weir. The trays are 36" long with a double width of 24". In theory, the stack could house 24 cubic feet of BHM.

So I have to take down the current set and build the support for the new stack. This might mean I don't go to CFKS. Time will tell.

MCA
    Finally got to repair one Cetus today. With a new bellows and the 8.5" stint inserted into the bottom hole of the weir, the flow rate through that Cetus can now keep up with a Evolution ES8500 pump pushing through an Aquadyne 4.4 bead filter. Prevously I had to cut back the flow with a ball valve on top of the pump. I would guess the rate doubled.

Look at the pictures of the old bellows and you can image when the weir lowered for max flow, the bellows was closing down around 50%.

Cetus weir float problem-bellows1.jpgCetus weir float problem-bellows2.jpg

MCA
    Repaired the second Cetus today. I was afraid this was going to be a PITA as the float was likely flooded. I could hear water inside...crap. I removed the Cetus from the filter pit, pulled the screen out. Lo and behold, no drain holes on the weir legs. I put a 3/16" hole in each leg near the intersection with the float. I must have gotten out a gallon of water. No sign or sound of water in the float. YEA!!!!

The bellow was not kinked like the first Cetus. But I removed it anyway, put in a stint, and installed a new bellow. I cleaned the screen and reinstalled the Cetus. It works like a champ. It is indeed a good match for the flow rate I get with ES8500 pump into an Aquadyne 4.4 bead filter.

Next project, replace squealing Wave II 1/2HP pump on shower circuit with ES8500. Nice to have all pumps the same model so you can move them around in an emergency and maybe have one spare pump on hand. You can get ES8500 pumps on ebay for less than $250 with shipping.

MCA
    New ES8500 arrived today. I replaced the Wave 1/16hp pump I put it as place holder. The ES8500 is quieter and delivers much more water to the top of the shower. Friday during water change I will change out the shower manifold for a revised one with less back pressure. That should complete the 2013 modifications.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12