Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball Valves

Ball Valves

Does anyone know which ball valves are best?

I have AsahiAV 21 ball valves that I'm planning on putting on the BD. My other choice is a Valtera Knife and I'm not real confident in using them. A friend has had multiple failures with them and Valtera will not stand behind them.

Once they're on the BD, the only way to fix them if they break is to drain the pond.

MCA
    I have 4" Valtera knife on my BD lines. But those valves are around 3' from the surface originally feeding Nexus, now feeding Cetus. Basically those valves are never closed. No way I would use them to take the full pressure of 8' pond depth. While 4" ball valves cost a small fortune, I would use them on BG pipes near the bottom of the pond depth.

My 2" ball valves are plain old American brand from Lowes.

Michael, that was another concern using the Valtera. I think that might be why Bill is having so many failures with his.

I have more than enough ball valves. That wasn't an issue. I just don't want something that I won't be able to turn. I've had good ones and bad ones in the past. Some that I bought from Farm Tek had to be turned using a length of pipe because they were so hard. I don't know anything about this brand though.

MCA
    What will be the first stage of filtration? If it is a sieve, no need to close the BD main valve. If it is a vortex or static bed, you would indeed need to close the BD line to dump the chamber.

The drains are going directly to the sieves. I want the valve in case I have to remove the sieve for some reason. There has to be a way to shut the bottom drains off before the sieves.

MCA
    Then put the valves around 3' below pond surface...just below the sieve intake. The valves have much less pressure on them compared to the valves down at the depth of the pond floor. You can use the knife valves in that location. Mine are just below the Cetus units.

when I replaced the Nexus with Cetus units, I rebuilt the knife vales. I dropped the water a little lower than a typical water change. Worked out just fine. I use a large sump pump to dump that much water fast.

I don't understand what you're saying, Michael. The sieve intake is almost at the bottom of the sieve which is going to be about 4 1/2'-5' down, I would think.

I've found out that this ball valve is very high quality so I'm going to use them. I feel much more comfortable using a ball valve instead of a knife anywhere, especially that deep and on something as important as the BD.

MCA
    Cetus is around 1 meter high. So the top of a vertically mounted valve could a 1 meter below water level. Then a short piece of pipe connects the valve to the Cetus using a Fernco fitting.

It's going to have to be mounted horizontal. I don't have enough room height wise. My cetus are almost sitting on the ground. I made my pit 4' deep but due to the mushy clay, I had to put a layer of crushed limestone. I barely have enough room to make the connections.

MCA
    Similar to my filter pit. The floor is 2' below grade while the pond is 2' above grade. The 4" BD pipes enter via pit wall and go into the 4" knife valve. After the valve is a sweep 90 and a short pipe that connects to fernco fitting to Cetus. The knife valve works just fine as it only holds back around 3' of water pressure, not the full pond depth of 8'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast