Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: another searching for filter idea thread

Scary thing, Larry, is most of them don't.

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisatpeace View Post
    Scary thing, Larry, is most of them don't.
    That's the most frustrating part to me. The real pond builders are badly outnumbered.

yeah.... if I could go back, there are a few things I would have done differently... starting with a second BD and a means for cleanibg the bog... as of now the planted bog is definitely an attractive focal point of our yard...I've thought of putting a MC50 prior to the bog to minimize mulm build up. Tye water feeding the bog goes through several layerd of matting but I can only imagine how much gets through. My water quality and clarity ate seemingly top notch so far, though. Tge thing is I'm wanting bigfer fish abd want to make sure to fail on the side of caution with mu biofiltration. I'm leaning towards yge zakki sieve and DIY shower. The Ultima II 10,000 is good, but I want more before I buy any more fish....fwiw I'll be rehoming most of tge fish I presently have... wanting to upgrade.

MCA
    On our first pond in Plano I told the guy my wife wanted a koi pond. To him that meant a pond that housed koi.

Needless to say, I built the replacement pond in Plano and the one here.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco4Koi View Post
    the bog is here to stay.... unfortunately I didn't include a means of cleaning it in the original design.... the pond builder I consulted with said they never need cleaning.... I wouldn't know where to begin with installing a BD in the bog.... tons of stone and concrete....I don't have a readily available photo of the bog in summer time..... it is extremely dense with tall, thick plants.... I just have to hope they do their job
    A simple way to test just what is being trapped in the roots etc at the bottom of your bog, is for you to put your hand in the water, right down to the plant roots. Shake your hand about a bit then take it out of the water. The smell of your hand will tell you quite a lot about how your bog filter is working. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by ageinghippy View Post
    A simple way to test just what is being trapped in the roots etc at the bottom of your bog, is for you to put your hand in the water, right down to the plant roots. Shake your hand about a bit then take it out of the water. The smell of your hand will tell you quite a lot about how your bog filter is working. Seriously.
    Only if he doesn't have any cuts or scrapes. A buddy of mine got a nasty Aeromonas infection that way once...

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Only if he doesn't have any cuts or scrapes. A buddy of mine got a nasty Aeromonas infection that way once...
    Sorry Papabear, you are of course quite correct to mention it, ONLY put your hands in the water while wearing protective rubber gloves.

Gloves to me are automatic, a lesson learned when Mark Gardner sadly lost his father to the result of a waterbourn bug.

Chris

hmmmm ... I've never used gloves.... guess I'll be going to home depot tomorrow... *shrugs*

Probably not good, but I've never worn gloves. These days I at least try to put liquid band aid over the larger wounds. But there are always wounds of some variety, I'm a guy, for crying out loud. Then again, I don't have any bad bacterial areas I'm dealing with, either.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco4Koi View Post
    hmmmm ... I've never used gloves.... guess I'll be going to home depot tomorrow... *shrugs*
    Most koi keepers dont wear gloves, I didnt for 20 years or so, but as I said, when Mark tragically lost his father due to water germs, it really made us all think again.

You dont need those great big thick gloves, a simple disposable rubber glove is ideal. They are certainly cheap enough, and you can still `feel` what you are doing when you are wearing them.

CHRIS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast