Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: another searching for filter idea thread

Quote Originally Posted by ageinghippy View Post
    Most koi keepers dont wear gloves, I didnt for 20 years or so, but as I said, when Mark tragically lost his father due to water germs, it really made us all think again.

You dont need those great big thick gloves, a simple disposable rubber glove is ideal. They are certainly cheap enough, and you can still `feel` what you are doing when you are wearing them.

CHRIS
    If I was going to consider poking my hands down into the gravel and rocks to see what the blackened muck "smelled like" you can bet I'd have the gloves on. Anything that smells worse than pickled eggs and beer the morning after can NOT be good for you

Seriously though, the bacterial strains that thrive in that environment almost all produce toxins (methane gas, hydrogen sulfide gas, etc...), while providing an ideal host for most of the disease organisms we all prefer to avoid at all costs.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    If I was going to consider poking my hands down into the gravel and rocks to see what the blackened muck "smelled like" you can bet I'd have the gloves on. Anything that smells worse than pickled eggs and beer the morning after can NOT be good for you

Seriously though, the bacterial strains that thrive in that environment almost all produce toxins (methane gas, hydrogen sulfide gas, etc...), while providing an ideal host for most of the disease organisms we all prefer to avoid at all costs.
    Aaah yes, the delightful aroma of hydrogen sulphide, takes me back to the early days of trying to get gravel filters to work better. Time moves on.

My suggestion for OP to get his hands in the roots was so that he could appreciate just how important some sort of a drain is, in a bog filter. The first swirl of black muck being stirred up, quickly followed by the first whiff from it, ought to have been enough to convince anybody, that even a makeshift `retro` drain would help.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ageinghippy View Post
    Aaah yes, the delightful aroma of hydrogen sulphide, takes me back to the early days of trying to get gravel filters to work better. Time moves on.

My suggestion for OP to get his hands in the roots was so that he could appreciate just how important some sort of a drain is, in a bog filter. The first swirl of black muck being stirred up, quickly followed by the first whiff from it, ought to have been enough to convince anybody, that even a makeshift `retro` drain would help.

Chris
    I was thinking a retro drain might be a workable solution to at least part of the problem too. A few pieces of 2" pipe running to the bottom could be used for an airlift or similar "pump and dump" style drain to at least get rid of some of it on a weekly basis. Better than leaving it there to rot, and the plants could hide them completely from view.

Have you ever seen the rocks after they've been submerged in that goo for a few years? Even after they're washed the acids will stain them with some of the strangest colors you might imagine. Its kinda like "psychedelic sewer art"
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco4Koi View Post
    midwater is an option..... but the BD large waste removal along with bio is my main objectives... the bog handles the fined fairly well.... but I'll definitely keep a mental note of the idea if I can't realistically do a retro BD...... anyone ever use the zakki sieve? It's a pressurized sieve that is pre-pump for use above water level.... it sounds perfect,, but need a few opinions from trusted people beforw dropping $1100 on it.
    The Zakki Sieve is a direct suction sieve that performs your mechanical pre-filtering down to 250 microns. It can be installed at any elevation that is above pond water level. The top of the sieve can be no lower than 7" above pond water level but that doesn't see to be an issue for you. Here are some videos that should help you to better understand the filter and its operation...

Tosai

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123