Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Time for a rebuild

Time for a rebuild

Took my first baby steps last weekend toward my pond rebuild, got the koi moved and the old pond tore out. Relocating the pond to an area that gets more sun in the winter months and correcting some of the mistakes I made the first time round. This will be slow, not sure if it will be completed this year. I had a swimming pool installed last year and the walls were done with insulated concrete forms, I plan to use those for the new pond as well. Pond is going to be raised and built on a existing concrete slab, pond will be 12'L x 8'W x 4'D. I will be reusing most of the filtration but I need to get new pumps and a bigger UV.

Bottom Drain Circuit - 4" BD to Cetus to ES8500 pump to Bakki Shower

Skimmer Circuit - 4" no niche skimmer, reduced to 2" at ES8500 pump then to Bead Filter, UV and TPRs.

Temporary holding tank for koi, going to add a moving bed when it warms up a bit:

Tearing out the old pond, not a ton of pictures of this but you get the idea:

My swimming pool under construction to give an idea of what the pond walls will be built with:

Shed at the back of the pool has been moved and that is the location for the new pond:

Like I said this will be slow going, might not have any updates for a while...
    Chris

Chris, great to see the rebuild for sure more room for the koi.

Scrolled down & saw the 3rd pic & thought wow that's your new pond, that sure looks much bigger than the size you mentioned I then read the captions & was disappointed to see that it's your new pool.

You sure you don't want to make it the same size as your pool? The koi will be very happy!

Is that a liner pool?

Its a liner pool, under the liner is what they call PoolCrete (basically its concrete without any aggregate).

Sansai
    Swimming pool looks awesome man!!!!!! So, have you done anything towards a new build for the pond since? I liked that little pond of yours! was one of the FIRST "Koi Ponds" I'd ever seen in person!

I actually sold all my equiptment and koi, this is on hold until I have enough $$ to build a fully enclosed greenhouse pond.

Something kinda along these lines: Koi pond construction - by Koi Water Garden Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by dubtaco View Post
    I actually sold all my equiptment and koi, this is on hold until I have enough $$ to build a fully enclosed greenhouse pond.

Something kinda along these lines: Koi pond construction - by Koi Water Garden Ltd
    Love the Koi on your home area, Why not just adapt the swimming pool , put the koi in and swim with them ?
    I'm sure they would not mind !!

Brian