Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By powerman
  • 1 Post By Erns

Thread: Drum filter VS. vortex and radial flow separators

Drum filter VS. vortex and radial flow separators

Here is an interesting comparison between three mechanical filters.

http://integrated-aqua.com/wordpress...Whitepaper.pdf

vortex (swirl separator)
    rotary drum
    radial flow separator

The rotary drum comes out on top for the lowest total suspended solids. The radial flow separator was second.

MCA
    If only every pond system builder (pro or DIY) would embrace the message in the opening couple of sentences. Yet every day on some BBSs,,, one more ditch with fish, no BD..etc. and don't even ask the owner about TDS or ORP levels.

the supply of poor pond designs and implementations seems endless.

Here is the text that MCA refers to with a slight modification :

"Rapid and effective solids removal can positively affect the health of fish, koi, (salmon in the study)
    in water recirculating systems. Accumulation of solids within ... systems can promote an environment that harbors fish pathogens.
    In
    addition, solids that are not rapidly removed can break down into smaller particles that

leach nutrients, degrade water quality, and exert a biological oxygen demand that also
    increases dissolved carbon dioxide levels. These smaller suspended solids can cause gill
    irritation, which can lead to reduced immune system efficiency, and ultimately disease
    outbreak"

The paper you quoted doesn't compare the rdf to the two types of pre-filter.. it compares the vortex or swirl separator to the radial flow separator and then in each of those comparisons a rotary drum filter was next in line... using the settlement, especially the radial flow separator ahead of the rdf greatly reduces the demand on the rdf and the rate of flushing cycles...
    for those of us using settlement, radial flow separation is a better choice. the cone in the radial flow separator needs to be emptied at least twice a day...
    I want to make a pond with a radial flow separator in the settlement chamber and a steep cone at the bottom with an airlift system to automatically empty it several times a day..
    still not quite ready to do an rdf, though...
    jetmek likes this.

When I read the article and I look at the percentages I get the idea that in a low stocked Koi pond the RDF will remove just about all the TSS in the water. the rest will be washed out through water changes. I've decided to take the plunge and order a RDF unit for my pond. I am away enough to justify it to myslef and the wife! So come mid June I hope to be installing my unit. I have opted to import the Profi-drum Eco 65/40 with 3 110mm in and outlets. I'm going to install it under gravity feeding a moving bed filter and then pumped back to the pond with low wattage submercible pumps. My bakki showers will still run off my skimmers like I have them currently.
    Can't wait to see the improvements and kick back on the weekly cleaning of mechanical filters.

MCA
    You are required to provide pictures of the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    You are required to provide pictures of the installation.
    Will do my best..
    ricshaw likes this.

Well - I took the plunge and my ProfiDrum RDF is in. It's a remarkable piece of equipment. I like the small footprint. I like the improved flow rates I'm getting. I like my water clarity. I like the fact that I finally found a system that can effectively and economically remove waste every 15 tot 20 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drum filter VS. vortex and radial flow separators-img_7103_1024x617.jpg   Drum filter VS. vortex and radial flow separators-img_7118_1024x683.jpg   Drum filter VS. vortex and radial flow separators-img_7116_1024x683.jpg   Drum filter VS. vortex and radial flow separators-img_7121_512x768.jpg   Drum filter VS. vortex and radial flow separators-img_7134_1024x683.jpg  

Drum filter VS. vortex and radial flow separators-img_7139_1024x683.jpg  

MCA
    Much congrats! Nice installation.