Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Let if flow!

MCA
    Congrats on the deal. Sieves are the best mechanical stage I have found so far.

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Well, if everything works out, I just got a GREAT deal on 3 cetus sieves. I have two 5500 gallon pumps for now. Once I start up my pond I will most likely gravity feed my skimmer (which I put a 4" line to the bottom of my savio) to one sieve with a 5500 pump pumping out of it, and then my main bottom drain with a 4" to another cetus with the other 5500. I hope this will be enough flow to keep any clogs or settlement in these pipe. my BD has a spot where it goes up, then back down... I T'ed a 1 1/2 for air to release. I'm hoping the cetus's can handle as much flow as my 5500's will draw from them. I really wanted an Ultra sieve or two... but for the price I'm getting these 3 Cetus's I couldn't pass it up. Cheers!-Mike
    Mike- I use a 5500 on a Cetus and it works great with no settling in the lines. I originally installed an 8500 pump, but it was a tad too much for the Cetus, so I went with the 5500. I will be adding a second Cetus soon! BTW- the Cetus might require some tuning- because of the "floppy bellow syndrome" (I put a 3" pvc pipe as a stint, it snugs into place at the weir stub that the bellow attaches too.) Additionally, My float had a perforation in the seams joining the float to the legs, this caused the float to fill with water and weigh it down. This was solved by separating the float from the legs and re-gluing the seams. I documented my experience on another forum... Cetus sieve issue

Can you have too much turnover on a pond?
    As of now I have:
    2 skimmers with submersible little giant 4000gph mag drive in each= 8000gph feeding my bog and cascading (aerating) waterfall

A built in 4"BD feeding an ultra sieve and 8500gph pump to an
    A retro BD feeding a Dponds 8500gph pump to
    25,000gph turnover for now, minus
    I just purchased a 10,500gph pump to replace one 8500...
    I'll have 27,000gph turnover.... Is this good, better or too much... Electric cost aren't a deterrent.. So me wasting money isn't the response that'll matter to me.

MCA
    Rather that using little giants, a bog, and retro BD....perhaps it is time to consider a pond overhaul with concrete floor, concrete or block walls, and gravity feeds from skimmers and BDs to the filter pit/house. Design in one or more showers.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Rather that using little giants, a bog, and retro BD....perhaps it is time to consider a pond overhaul with concrete floor, concrete or block walls, and gravity feeds from skimmers and BDs to the filter pit/house. Design in one or more showers.
    We're talking about selling and moving in three to four years. I'd rather not put too much money in things that can't go with me.

MCA
    I can fully understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA209616
    I can fully understand that.
    Our house Is paid for as of last year,, hence the extra money for pond, electric and my wife's chanel purse,,, lol
    But we can get twice the house for the money in Dripping Springs ( and well water ) a country town just out of town.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Mike- I use a 5500 on a Cetus and it works great with no settling in the lines. I originally installed an 8500 pump, but it was a tad too much for the Cetus, so I went with the 5500. I will be adding a second Cetus soon! BTW- the Cetus might require some tuning- because of the "floppy bellow syndrome" (I put a 3" pvc pipe as a stint, it snugs into place at the weir stub that the bellow attaches too.) Additionally, My float had a perforation in the seams joining the float to the legs, this caused the float to fill with water and weigh it down. This was solved by separating the float from the legs and re-gluing the seams. I documented my experience on another forum... Cetus sieve issue
    WOW, thanks for sharing your thread!!!! I was dreading that part of the cetus problem. I'll definitely probably be asking questions about install heighth and for recommendations after I get them and get ready for installation Thanks again! -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Here is the calculator I use for flow rates based pipe size, height differential,...etc. It is handy for planning the use of sieves or other gravity flow aspects in the pond. It is amazing the potential flow rates from 4" pipe with just a 6" drop.

CalcTool: Gravity-fed pipe flow calculator
    Michael, I could be wrong here but this formula seems more appropriate for use when measuring the flowrate when flushing, say a bottom drain to atmosphere(sump). Regards

Edit: Now I'm pretty sure. Plugging in my bd pipe run length of 30 meters and a drop of 0.75 meters, I get a flowrate of 800 liters/min or 48000 liters/hr. At 20,000 lph with my main and backup pump both running, I already need my two 3" surface skimmers to keep my pumps from cavitating. With my skimmers plugged and kept from flowing into the sump, my pumps will cavitate.

MCA
    It is useful for anytime you want to know the potential flow rate caused by gravity between two ends of a pipe. The larger the pipe diameter and the greater the height difference.....the greater the flow.

So if you want to flow say 10,000lph through your filter and back to the pond and the pump on the other end of the filter can do the work.......can the BD or skimmer pipe and all the filter components keep up? The flow rate increases as you cause a greater drawdown in the last chamber. That height difference causes a flow from the next to last chamber to the last chamber. The effect cascades through all the chambers Bottom line, if you want serious flow rates in an non-pressurized filter system....you want large pipes from the BDs and skimmers to feed it, large pipes between the chambers, and a large pipe feeding the pump (to prevent starvation which can cause cavitation).
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast