Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Quarantine tank Filter?

Tosai

Quarantine tank Filter?

Hello, I've got an 150 gallon stock tank that I'm going to use as a quarantine tank. I'm looking for a small, effective filter. The small pressure filters I'm looking at all have foam inside them for the most part and after reading past threads it sounds like foam is a pain to clean. The submersible foam filters seem like tons of maintenance too. Any recommendations? David

David, I use a 300g stock tank as a QT/hospital tank for smaller koi, I filter it with a 55g sand and gravel filter, turnover rate is 3X per hour. It has never had an algae bloom, and has been running for 3 years. I also advise heavy water changes on such a small QT, 100% per week (not all at once). The system holds 375g of water, including the 55g settling chamber and 55g filter. When I clean the filter, I use 150g of the water, 1-2 times a week. I also dump the settling barrel daily, dumping 40g each time.

That might be a bit more involved than you were thinking, but it works well for me.
    Will Schultze
    (931) 338-6174

I have a 300 gallon stock tank. Two 2" BDs feeding a single 55gallon barrel with 4000 feet of pallet strapping and a 700gph pump. A 12" goldfish lives there year around... It's worked up until now. . But thinking I need 1000gallons, in addition, so I can quarantine multiple larger fish at once.

I believe no matter what you decide, the best thing you can do is keep it going year around with at least one fish so it is ready and functionally available in a moments notice.