Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savio Skimmer without the Weir Door

Sansai

Savio Skimmer without the Weir Door

So I made a dumb move during my whole shotcrete process... I didn't have the faceplate or weir on my skimmer. I cut the concrete back around it even to put in hydraulic cement underneath and around the sides... and some what covered the screw holes.. In my defense I seen a water garden with just gold fish in it that had a skimmer that worked great and had no door.. SO I was thinking I didn't need one. But as I read through some threads seems this isn't the case.. I need the door to keep fish out, and force the skimmer to actually skim water off the surface. problem: I've already put hydraulic cement, mortar and Xypex concentrate over most of the screw holes... UGH!
    What can I do? is there a way to manipulate something ? a floating weir? Or put some of my strapping across the face of it? any ideas? Or do I just leave it as is and hope suction from my 4" hole I drilled through the bottom of the skimmer with a 4" pipe gravity feed through a cetus, and 5500 GPH pump discharge, be enough draw from the pond to be ok???
    Thanks for any replies in advance.. I'll post pictures of my problem in the next couple days! I am seriously going to lose sleep over this issue!
    -Mike

MCA
    With the door the skimmer pulls water off the top ~6"...depending on the height of the skimmer relative to full pond level. So put a pump on the circuit that pulls at least 5000gph and I bet it should still work fine. One thing I did for my skimmer is to put a "cowcatcher" in from that is a grid work of 1/2" PVC. The cowcatcher prevent larger fish ffrom going in...and not being able to turn around.

Perhaps a 'No Niche' skimmer inside the Savio and Mike's "cowcatcher" idea would work???

Sansai
    Wow! both are GREAT ideas!!!! I dread chipping out all my hydraulic cement, mortar and Xypex concentrate.. So dumb I did that, but I was thinking 5,000 gph would be a heck of a pull anyway and it would still work great. the "no Nichie" srat out of my 4" inside? seriously brilliant... Also I think I seen the "cowcatcher" before and was actually planning to do just that... would I just screw the PVC to the concrete???? Thanks again guys, I'll sleep MUCH better tonight knowing this issue WILL be resolved! OH P.S. my skimmer face is 18" the BIG one just an FYI... Thanks -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Wow! both are GREAT ideas!!!! I dread chipping out all my hydraulic cement, mortar and Xypex concentrate.. So dumb I did that, but I was thinking 5,000 gph would be a heck of a pull anyway and it would still work great. the "no Nichie" srat out of my 4" inside? seriously brilliant... Also I think I seen the "cowcatcher" before and was actually planning to do just that... would I just screw the PVC to the concrete???? Thanks again guys, I'll sleep MUCH better tonight knowing this issue WILL be resolved! OH P.S. my skimmer face is 18" the BIG one just an FYI... Thanks -Mike
    Thanks for the vote of confidence but I saw that idea somewhere...thought it was a damn good idea as well. I think it will work out for you. Dry fit and run the pond before you glue the fittings for height adjustment.

Sansai
    For sure!!!! I'm actually hoping that Mikes confidence in 5000 GPH is enough through the thing will be effective enough to not have to do any thing. If not, I'll definitely go this route! My only problem is I have a 4" line coming through the bottom of my skimmer and I used electrical fittings to seal it. On the inside of the skimmer I cut it all but off so it didn't have a "lip". Now my skimmer has been encased in concrete too. LOL someone asked me what I was going to do if I ever needed to fix or replace this skimmer after I let the shotcrete guy spray around it. so it might be a bit of a challenge to get something inside the 4" without dropping the 5' it goes down. I'm sure If I have to go this route I'll figure something out like tyine guide wire to the sides or something. Thanks again!!!

MCA
    Did someone mention cowcatchers?

They are easy to make from a couple feet of 1/2" PVC, a handful of T fittings, and 4 of the 3-way elbows for the corners. The 3-way elbows lets you use one leg as a standoff from the skimmer framer/opening. Then spray it with a couple coats of black Fusion or other paint that bonds to plastic. You could use ABS if you find it in 1/2 size.

For installation I put two brass hooks (they look like a long L with screw threads on the long end) from Lowes into the skimmer farm and drilled corresponding holes in two of the 3-way fittings that share a long side of the cowcatcher. The cowcatcher slides over the L hookes and drops into position. I have yet to have our koi knock the cowcatcher down. You can of course use a spot of locktite or silicone between the hooks and cowcatcher.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Savio Skimmer without the Weir Door-img_0013.jpg   Savio Skimmer without the Weir Door-img_0011.jpg   Savio Skimmer without the Weir Door-img_0009.jpg  
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Sansai
    That's awesome MCA! My only problem with screwing them into the skimmer frame is...... I cover the screw holes with mortar and hydraulic cement. I'm sure I could build this thing a little larger and put it out in front of the carved concrete literally out on the pond wall itself? I didn't cover the screw holes on the sides to badly, but the bottom is completely covered. I love that thing for keeping the fish out!!!!! Thanks for sharing... here's a picture of my skimmer (kind of hard to see it) -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Savio Skimmer without the Weir Door-xypex-sparky-1.jpg  

MCA
    Just do in hooks for the top two corners. Those holes in the pond wall should be just above top water level. Use stainless or brass hardware and a touch of black silicone as needed. Indeed I would size the cowcatcher to fit the pond wall opening, no the skimmer's frame.

Sansai
    Thanks Mike, I will definitely come looking for you when I'm ready and to that point! -Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast