Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: need advice about my plan for the filter

Fry

need advice about my plan for the filter

i have a 3200 koi pond, with a DIY filter that has 1 vortex and 4 chambers. its a pump fed filter system. its been running for 5 years but the chambers isnt full of filter media, just brushes on the first, 2nd is j-matt but only half full, 3rd and 4th contains some rocks but also not full.

i'm planning on filling the 2nd and 3rd chamber with japanese matting(blue) then a fluidized bed filter with 1k media on the last. is that right? or fluidized bed filter first before the j-matt or it doesnt matter, effects would be the same?

i dont wanna use bio balls since some say they increase nitrate level after a while of using them. i also cant use k1 media all the way since its just too expensive in my location, even if they got a lot of surface area for bacteria. lava rocks? well, they are just so heavy.

MCA
    i also cant use k1 media all the way since its just too expensive in my location
    What location?
    3rd and 4th contains some rocks but also not full.
    Why...what type of rocks? Plain old gravel?

If possible I would convert vortex to static bed using K1 or similar floating media that can easily be cleaned by boiling with air then dumping (as in Nexus inner chamber). This avoids brushes which are a pain to clean properly. The I would do first two chambers of moving bed using K1 or similar floating media. The last two chambers would be Japanese matting with airstones. If real K1 is too expensive, look for substitute.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    What location? Why...what type of rocks? Plain old gravel?

If possible I would convert vortex to static bed using K1 or similar floating media that can easily be cleaned by boiling with air then dumping (as in Nexus inner chamber). This avoids brushes which are a pain to clean properly. The I would do first two chambers of moving bed using K1 or similar floating media. The last two chambers would be Japanese matting with airstones. If real K1 is too expensive, look for substitute.
    im from the philippines, k1 media here is sold at $15.40 per kilo.

actually, its crushed corals. i dont know where my dad got it but i dont think its a good filter media.

but what about mechanical filtration if i convert the vortex and remove the brushes? and if im not mistaken, bed filters would require a lot of air right? one 140L/m airpump wont be enough for the whole filtration you are suggesting, right? but thanks, i would consider your idea. i thinks its a lot better, its just the cost of producing and running that kind of system that concerns me.