Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Lester's Pond Redo - Drunk drove van into Koi Pond

Tosai

Lester's Pond Redo - Drunk drove van into Koi Pond

Kept Koi in a dinky inadequate puddle for 10 years while in Oregon. Moved to Puget Sound. Initially was fortunate to have Coach, Prew, Burkard, Hicks and others help with the design of my new dedicated koi pond saved me from a bunch of mistakes. Pond 10,000 approx. Kept Koi for 5-6 years and had 12 really good fish until ...

Lester's Pond Redo - Drunk drove van into Koi Pond-van-koi-pond.jpg

Yes that is a Van in my Koi pond!

Bad ... lost 9k worth of fish, liner, pond concrete work 1 vehicle and landscaping... Drunk no insurance!
    Good ... Did not get Pumps, filters, HOUSE, or me and my new 2 week old son while we slept on the sofa 8 feet away from were the vehicle came to rest (Pond acted as a moat)

Devastated ... Dejected... not enough money to redo

Fast forward 3 years got 0 koi and a broke up 10,000 pond..... but starting to get the bug ... really, really miss my Slime Skins!

Got most of the new landscaping done on "Fort Koi" Starting to research info on pond redo that will hopefully be completed by spring

Sooo.... Lets Get Started

Koi Pond configuration before crash. Was pretty happy with performance before would like to address Fines, DOC's and Maintenance on redo. Drop the Heat Exchanger and install a UV. Also would like to install a Sieve like Ultra Sieve III Or a ZakKi Seive or something custom built before the settlement chamber. Already replaced the Lava Rock with 6 CuF of cermedia. Then some sort of foam fractioner/protein skimmer. Open to ideas and suggestions. Cost is a factor as I am not working now but have a lot of time to get it done.

Lester's Pond Redo - Drunk drove van into Koi Pond-ponddiag-pre-crash.jpg

As it sets now:
    Lester's Pond Redo - Drunk drove van into Koi Pond-dscn5528.jpgLester's Pond Redo - Drunk drove van into Koi Pond-dscn5534.jpg

Questions
    Polyeurea - can it be sprayed over packed sand/decomposed granite or does it need concrete base? Could you cover just the bottom with a liner and spray over that and then up the walls?
    If not I would like to get rid of the folds if I go with another liner how feasible would it be to line the bottom and trim at the shear wall then wrap like a 10" wide liner around the vertical wall and seam it at the bottom and were the ends meet?
    Ultra Sieve III - can you get it with the standard two 4" inlets and then get a 4" outlet (instead of the 2" pump feed) so you could use it as a gravity flow through?
    UVs - Thoughts on brands -size needed - I am thinking 100ish.
    Doc's - any good reasonable protein skimmers or is that a DIY project.

Salvaged Items from Crash:
    Lester's Pond Redo - Drunk drove van into Koi Pond-dscn5536.jpgLester's Pond Redo - Drunk drove van into Koi Pond-dscn5539.jpgLester's Pond Redo - Drunk drove van into Koi Pond-dscn5531.jpgLester's Pond Redo - Drunk drove van into Koi Pond-dscn5542.jpg

Thanks, Lester

MCA
    Polyeurea - can it be sprayed over packed sand/decomposed granite or does it need concrete base? Could you cover just the bottom with a liner and spray over that and then up the walls?
    Is anyone still in business spraying that stuff? In every poly pond around me....owners have had leaks and regretted using it.

If not I would like to get rid of the folds if I go with another liner how feasible would it be to line the bottom and trim at the shear wall then wrap like a 10" wide liner around the vertical wall and seam it at the bottom and were the ends meet?
    If you go with a rectangular or square pond, you can avoid all visible folds. Remember that a liner is for water sealing only and had zero mechanical strength. For a deep pond with vertical walls (recommended) you need block or concrete walls.

Ultra Sieve III - can you get it with the standard two 4" inlets and then get a 4" outlet (instead of the 2" pump feed) so you could use it as a gravity flow through?
    You would have to cut the 2" port out of the wall and put in a 4" bulkhead. It might take some playing with the weir float to get the desired flow rate. On my two USII units I pump through bead filters.

UVs - Thoughts on brands -size needed - I am thinking 100ish.
    Evolution Aqua units are good. I have a 55w on each bead filter circuit.

Doc's - any good reasonable protein skimmers or is that a DIY project.
    There are many good DIY threads on this site and others on how to build a DIY foam fractionator trickle tower. Much cheaper than a commercial FF/skimmer like a Clarity unit. A good Bakki Shower will also cause the proteins to separate into foam.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Saw this pic on another forum... Dang and Wow were my thoughts. Sorry to hear and happy you are getting back in.

I know Koi Acres has a few vids on Polyurea installs they've done. It looks kick ass, but I can't comment on longevity. One must remember- the horror stories are the ones we hear about. Rarely, if ever, will someone post a thread saying, "Hey just wanted to let eveyone know there are no leaks after 8 years." kinda stuff. I'm sure there are plenty of successes out there. I think preperation and application are the keys- something a first time user will not have. Personally I wouldn't ever attempt to do this myself. Hire a professional if using this. Polyurea

I've heard good things about Zypex. The worst I've heard of is a product called RubberizeIt!... Seen way too many disaters with people using that crap. Here's a neat thread: RubberizeIt Failure.......

Are you still gonna be using the mat? I hate the choir of spraying matting so I don't use the stuff myself...

I have an EA EVO 55. Good construction and material, so a good product. I have less than 6 months of combined usage on bulb, so can't comment on that. But when plugged it it fires up. I like that the housing is opaque-ish so you can see when lamp is lit up, yet it is not open, nor bright. I'd say the 110W (2 bulbs) would be great. Plus I'd say increase the bio so you don't need a UV.

I can't get a skimmer to skim anything. I guess the flow-through and weekly exchanges keep the DOC's down. Well, that and the monster shower I have.

I have a Cetus sieve and will be installing a second this spring. I suppose I should have gone with the AF Utra Sieve, but hindsite is 20/20 and I didn't know how much 'd get involved with koi, so, oh well whatever. But after seeing the success stories of the AF I'd say it looks superior to Cetus in design and any common problems associated with use. The Zakki sieves have been becoming more popular lately and folks are enjoying that style. I see the use mostly when the sieven needs to be higher than pond to avoid a filter pit. Personally I like the wider and larger sieve screen of the Cetus and AS, plus I like the open nature of the unit. But it entirely depends on the application.

Good luck!

Tosai
    Thanks Michael and Tim for your replies! As is the case with my previous pond builds I am going over each aspect or component and reviewing things I may want to update or change. Being out of it for almost 4 years I just want to take advantage of any advancements that I may be able to afford and incorporate into the current rebuild. I will probably start a post on the Pond forum and I see you are both members there and look forward to your continued input.

Lester

Any updates?????