Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mtsklar

Thread: Leak or Evaporation?

Fry

Leak or Evaporation?

Hi

i completed installing my jojo tank pond and fitted the piping and everything looks good. so before i filled the ground around it i figured id better make sure nothing is leaking.
    all PVC connections were sealed with PVC weld and left for 2 days before water got into it. now i have dry sand lying where the tank adapter connects to the jojo tank and where the piping is set. i have checked for a few days and it is not wet in that area.

so i am assuming the drop in water level is due to evaporation.
    i only filled the tank to about 400mm deep but i put a milk crate in with a plant on to ensure my plant layout would work, but over the past week i have noticed that the level has dropped. a few mm per day. so i put a "marker" in. the top of the marker was about 1mm under water when i put it in. after 24 hours it is now 1mm above the water line.

it has been fairly hot and windy the last few days.
    so is this normal evaporation? 2-3cm drop in a week?

Hi IrU3,

Welcome to Koi-Bito! I am not familiar with the jojo tank pond. To better understand your situation, please provide following information:

Water temperature?
    Size of pond(water capacity)?
    Any waterfalls?
    Type of Filtration?

Sunny

How to measure for a leak

Please ignore the commercial aspect of the video, I posted it because the explanation is clear and simple.

1. Bring the pond water to normal level. Fill a 5-gallon bucket with pond water to about five inches from the top.
    2. Place the bucket in the pond. Ensure the bucket is immersed in the at least 5 inches.
    3. Mark the water level inside the bucket.
    4. Shut off the pump and mark pond water level on the outside of the bucket.
    5. Resume normal pond pump operation.
    6. After 24 hours, compare the two water levels. If the pond water (marked on the outside of the bucket) goes down more than the bucket's water level, there is probably a leak. If levels are the same, only evaporation has occurred.

(all per american leak detection's website)
    Matt Sklar

Fry
    hi, thanks all.. i tried the bucket in the pond idea. and it was normal evaporation. it was also a lot higher on the days when i asked this question because it was super hot and super windy.. its cooled down a lot and the water level hasnt gone down...

thanks again

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsklar View Post

1. Bring the pond water to normal level. Fill a 5-gallon bucket with pond water to about five inches from the top.
    2. Place the bucket in the pond. Ensure the bucket is immersed in the at least 5 inches.
    3. Mark the water level inside the bucket.
    4. Shut off the pump and mark pond water level on the outside of the bucket.
    5. Resume normal pond pump operation.
    6. After 24 hours, compare the two water levels. If the pond water (marked on the outside of the bucket) goes down more than the bucket's water level, there is probably a leak. If levels are the same, only evaporation has occurred.

(all per american leak detection's website)
    Matt U R A Genius !!!!!!

Fry
    I too have a new pond (1200 gal w/2 waterfalls). I also have a great deal of water loss daily. I've been told to turn the falls off to see if there continues to be water loss. Of course not so much. I thought some loss could be due to evaporation off the falls (more water surface area) but was not sure. The 5 gallon pail idea is a great idea. Will try it out. Thanks.

MCA
    During a week in the summer months I routinely lose around 1.5" (3+cm) to evaporation. No problem with that.

Helpful video to analyze about pond is leaking or not...
    Thanks for sharing.....

I too have seen 1"+ a day evaporation on my pond in the summer months.