Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shutting Down the Bottom Drain and Just Relying on Skimmer

I've concluded this test of shutting the bottom drain and relying on skimmers long ago. I just forgot to make my final comment: It is a very stupid idea. True, the fines haven't been plugging up my biofilters as much, but they're staying longer at the pond bottom, as with the rest of the fish waste. Foolish of me that I'm allowing waste to settle at the pond bottom. In hindsight, counting on using my em1 microorganism to somehow do its work was folly. Why would I purposely make my pond pathogenic, just because I have beneficial microorganisms at my disposal to neutralize the pathogens. My pond came with a bottom drain, which is a blessing compared to having none. The use of em1 would certainly benefit some ponds that are designed poorly, and though my pond is far from perfect, I now know disabling the bottom drain can only make it worse.

My slogan now is to remove the solid waste as early as possible, not to leave it to fester and pollute the pond water. Let waste settle as much, and don't just leave them. Remove as quickly and as often as practically possible. This way, much less work is needed to filter out the fines and the DOCs.

Sounds like you could use an RDF..............you should check them out!

I might just do that...someday. Then I will have more time playing with my koi, instead of taking care of them!

Anything but... Just kidding! Nice thing about these multi-chamber filters, they can be modified easily. I'd like to sneak one in. The raceway can go.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    I might just do that...someday. Then I will have more time playing with my koi, instead of taking care of them!
    My first 4 years I was a slave to my 12,000 gallon pond instead of enjoying the fish. All that changed since installing two large Profidrum RDFs from Bridge Way Koi and a large shower. My water clarity is so clear now that can see which side of the coin at 6.5 ft deep and the fish waste is being removed out of the water column every 20 minutes.

What was your filter system like before the RDF that made it a pain?

MCA
    Anything but... Just kidding! Nice thing about these multi-chamber filters, they can be modified easily. I'd like to sneak one in. The raceway can go.
    I never understood the raceway idea. I had rather have that water volume for the fish. Give me a sieve or RDF followed by a bakki shower.

What was your filter system like before the RDF that made it a pain?
    Cetus sieves and up flow filter with baci twist media from Kent Wallace.

MCA
    Kent usually does good stuff. The shaved pvc baci twist never did look to me to have much surface area for the volume. I think K-1 fluid bed could have been a better choice.

I think this winter I will change my shower manifold from 2" to 3" and Put in a ESBB10500 pump. It will increase the power consumption by around 100 watts but will likely double the shower flow rate come spring.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    I never understood the raceway idea. I had rather have that water volume for the fish. Give me a sieve or RDF followed by a bakki shower.
    I lack a good term so I used raceway but I'm just referring to a chamber after the settlement. This chamber measures 1.5m x 0.6m x 0.6m. I'm finding plenty of fines settling down here. It does the job of a raceway and now I understand why there are raceways made. Not efficient space-wise, but it keeps plenty of fines from the bio, and it is so easy for me to use my zero-energy siphon to suck it off the bottom.

My flow rate at 10,000 lph, going thru the 0.6mx0.6m cross section of the chamber, comes out to a linear velocity of 0.8cm/sec. The slow rate of flow over my mini-raceway settles many fines.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast