Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Need Bakki Shower

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    BTW, if you have low calcium soft water, you can put crushed oyster shells (from the local feed and seed store) or crushed coral in the trays. I have 30 pounds of crushed coral in my stack. Had I still been back in the Dallas TX area.....no need as the water had plenty of calcium/lime.
    MCA are you in Atlanta? Where did you have your Bakki made this is what I am looking for.

MCA
    We are on the north side in Alpharetta.

I get all my filtration components and koi from Carl Forss at Flat Rock Koi in Watkinsville near Athens. Carl was the original US importer of Bakki House media many years ago when he owned Kerin Koi in PA. He married Vicki Vaughan, closed Kerin Koi, and moved to their koi farm in Watkinsville. Carl custom designs koi ponds and filtration systems for customers all over the USA. He may have a stack in stock or can build one for you in the size and height you need. He also has Bakki House media. Contact him at www.flatrockkoi.com. I think he is home this week. He has a huge custom pond project ongoing in VA and could be up there.
    Jake Levi likes this.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Tosai
    Does anyone have the dimensions of a momotaro bakki tray. I want to know how wide are the holes on the grate, difference between the width of the top to bottom, etc Thanks
    Jake Levi likes this.

MCA
    Since ceramic media is usually good size chucks, compared to something like plastic K1, you can have a large amount of open floor space in a show tray. The floors of mine are made of expanded sheets of SS. The walls of the the trays are around 12" high and flare out around 1.5" at the top. Nothing really special in the proportions, just design it to meet the requirements of your site. I went double wide As I have one shower. If I were ever to rebuild the whole system, I would have two showers with each fed by a skimmer and a bottom drain to give redundancy and a tremendous amount of filtration and aeration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Bakki Shower-5paw9_as01.jpg  
    Jake Levi and jasonkoi like this.

I am flowing around 8,000 GPH and could do a lot more but my TPRs are my limiting factor. The bottom of each tray has 3/16 " holes 30% open on the bottom and all media sit 1/2" above the bottom on dog grate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Bakki Shower-photo3.jpg   Need Bakki Shower-pond6.jpg   Need Bakki Shower-stainless-20steel-20bakki-20shower.jpg  
    Jake Levi and jasonkoi like this.

Tosai
    I ended up getting an RDF with a Zakki Shower. Both are doing great I highly rec the Zakki with Cermedia it is very quiet and working great at over 10000 gallons per hour

Sansai
    Thanks for posting this, I love it !!
    Jake

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonkoi View Post
    I ended up getting an RDF with a Zakki Shower. Both are doing great I highly rec the Zakki with Cermedia it is very quiet and working great at over 10000 gallons per hour
    Agreed, fabulous combination.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12