Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Help please future 5500+ gallon pond in AZ ideas?!

Help please future 5500+ gallon pond in AZ ideas?!

So this is what I'm looking at doing. I want to do a 5.5'Wx5.5'Tx24"L. I'm going to build it with 2' above ground. I want to build it with a concrete bottom and cinder block walls. I'm looking at doing a end wall waterfall. The questions I have are: Should I still use a liner or do a coating? If a coating what would you recommend? How many pumps should I use? one return and one for circulation? How many draining since this will be 25'L?

Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    So this is what I'm looking at doing. I want to do a 5.5'Wx5.5'Tx24"L. I'm going to build it with 2' above ground. I want to build it with a concrete bottom and cinder block walls. I'm looking at doing a end wall waterfall. The questions I have are: Should I still use a liner or do a coating? If a coating what would you recommend? How many pumps should I use? one return and one for circulation? How many draining since this will be 25'L?
    are you doing a river flow design ? if money is allowed then use spray on polyuria

Not a river flow just a long rectangle to fit it in the area we want it. I't going to be a yard divider. One side with have the patio/ fire pit area and the other side will have the pool. The pool will be about 10-15' away from it. That's why I want to do the block walls and be 2' above ground level. No chlorine in the pond with a good rain.

MCA
    any specific reason for the depth? In the temp extremes you pond could see, I would want max ground contact, not to mention even more water volume for more temp stability. I would suggest a depth in the 8' range. My pond is 8' and 10' wide. You can easily use a herding net with a long handle to herd and corral as needed. You might want the pond semi-raised with 24" above grade. That give a nice place to sit and feed the koi. It also keeps out wind blown debris, runoff...etc.

I would also consider putting a roof, pergola, or sun sales over the pond to reduce the heat from the sun.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

I was going to do the sun sails over it and it will also have a bridge for solid shade area. As for the depth I could go deeper just worried about my Golden Retriever jumping in.

MCA
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    I was going to do the sun sails over it and it will also have a bridge for solid shade area. As for the depth I could go deeper just worried about my Golden Retriever jumping in.
    First you need a fence around the backyard or just the pond to keep out kids and unwanted wildlife. The pool fence should keep out your dog. The fence may be required by local codes and would definitely be wanted by your home owner insurance company.

Doing the pond semi raised with walls 2-4' up should help keep out the dog if it is allowed around the pond. But if it does get into the pond, you likely need a set of a steps that got down into the way say 2' to allow the dog or anyone to crawl or step out of the pond. You could but the steps right in front of a 16" skimmer.

The kids are are all old enough so there is no worry there, and the dogs are going to have their own section of the yard gated off and will only be out in that section if we are out there. I was thinking of doing the step just in case I need to get in so I can get out. LOL