Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: variable speed pumps

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom View Post
    I crank it up in the summer during heavy feeding and slow down in the winter when I slow down or stop feeding.
    Way to go! I'm wondering if there's a use for it in tropical weather. Maybe when we have really hot summers, when we reduced feeding is needed, it would be of good use.

MCA
    In hot weather you may reduce feeding but if the pump is driving a shower or waterfall you would want max flow to help keep DO as high as possible. Just when the pond system needs it the most....hot season....water's ability to carry O2 is at its lowest.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    In hot weather you may reduce feeding but if the pump is driving a shower or waterfall you would want max flow to help keep DO as high as possible. Just when the pond system needs it the most....hot season....water's ability to carry O2 is at its lowest.
    The need for max DO even with reduced feeding at high water temps- does that mean there's no compelling reason in getting a FlowFriend unit in the tropics? Since there's not much need to vary flow rate.

Now, I can see that need though, when you add more koi to a pond that you had not originally planned on, thus increasing the feeding levels. This would pair well with an anoxic filtration system, since, according to Dr. Novak, the system would easily adjust to the increased load.

How much does a FlowFriend cost?

MCA
    Flow friends are around $2000+ in the States, 1600+ Pounds in the UK. They are definitely not inexpensive.

I got my Anjon Monsoon pump controller today. I will check it out this weekend.

MCA
    Briefly tested the Anjon Monsoon Speed Controller. It seems to work by clipping the AC waves. The range on the controller wheel only gave me a few degrees of range where the Wave pump was slowed. For most of the range of motion on the control wheel, the pump was not moving. Also the back plate of the controller box got too hot to handle. I had planned to slip it into a plastic bag for weather sealing outside....but with that heat....a plastic bag is not such a good ideal.

While the pumps (mostly pool models) made for variable speed control look promising, their $1000+ cost plus the use of 230VAC means I will not be running one on in my pond. I do like the idea of the ones with the DC motor like the Badu EcoM3V. The ones with AC motor are evidently doing voltage and frequency changes to drop the motor RPMs.

So I am back to having a few main options during the winter when I bypass the shower:

• keep the pump running a full power and flow when bypassing the shower
    • keep the pump running in bypass and use a ball valve to add back pressure to reduce the flow (and power consumption?)
    • swap the main pump for a smaller less power consuming model during the winter bypass months.

At least I have options. Putting 230VAC in the filter pit for pumps is not one of them.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Ball valves aren't meant to regulate flow though, for that a globe valve or a diaphragm valve would be more suitable. At least that's what I just recently learned. I use a pvc ball valve to regulate flow in the pond, but it seems to be working fine. I will know eventually if the ball valve will last long enough.

Option 2 is interesting. A Killawatt meter would be handy to have.

MCA
    I will likely get a power meter to check the pump draw with ball valve wide open and cranked down for a winter bypass flow. If no significant power savings, I will change to a small pump I already own.

MCA
    Norm has one on the way to me. So I have a filter pit to rework in January.

Norm has one on the way to me. So I have a filter pit to rework in January.
    Now I know where the last FF went !

Briefly tested the Anjon Monsoon Speed Controller. It seems to work by clipping the AC waves. The range on the controller wheel only gave me a few degrees of range where the Wave pump was slowed. For most of the range of motion on the control wheel, the pump was not moving. Also the back plate of the controller box got too hot to handle. I had planned to slip it into a plastic bag for weather sealing outside....but with that heat....a plastic bag is not such a good ideal.

While the pumps (mostly pool models) made for variable speed control look promising, their $1000+ cost plus the use of 230VAC means I will not be running one on in my pond. I do like the idea of the ones with the DC motor like the Badu EcoM3V. The ones with AC motor are evidently doing voltage and frequency changes to drop the motor RPMs.

So I am back to having a few main options during the winter when I bypass the shower:

• keep the pump running a full power and flow when bypassing the shower
    • keep the pump running in bypass and use a ball valve to add back pressure to reduce the flow (and power consumption?)
    • swap the main pump for a smaller less power consuming model during the winter bypass months.

At least I have options. Putting 230VAC in the filter pit for pumps is not one of them.
    Great report.

A couple questions- If there was significant heat on the controller, wouldn't that indicate phantom electrical usage? Seems to me that heat is energy, and wasted energy in this case. What other methods are there for controling rpm's other than dropping voltage??? I have little knowledge of the matter and you sound like you've researched this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast