Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Bottom Drains

Fry

Bottom Drains

I have been reading about bottom drains here. I recognize that I need one for the new koi pond that I am designing. What type of drain should I use? I will be using an external pump, an Intelliflo variable speed pump, along with a BF2600 FilterFalls for the beginning of a stream of falls, and a PS7000 Big Bahama skimmer. I have been reading about a "gravity flow bottom drain" and cannot find a good definition of what this entails. Looking for design/product information, please. Does such a drain require a separate filtration box, and an air pump back to the bottom drain fixture? What about "TPR's", or return lines that force the pond water to move into a circular motion.

Just looking for some specific advice here, please. The pond will be about 5000 gallons. Thank you very much!

Regards,
    Todd

MCA
    How are you building the pond and in what dimensions? In AZ, like where I used t like in TX, it get hot as hell in the summer. You want a deep pond and a cover over it with a pergola to keep from poaching the koi in August. Be sure to join a nearby koi club where you can local advice on building techniques and issues specific to your part of the country.

Phoenix, AZ - Valley Of The Sun Koi Club, Inc. (VSKC)
    Southern Arizona Koi Association (SAKA)

As for bottom drains I would personally recommend the Rhino II. The are extremely durable and well made. I would avoid ones like the Koi Toilet that are made from ABS and can not be glued to the 4" drain pipe and 1" air supply pipes that are made of PVC. For filtration I would put in a UltraSieve III connected to the simmer and drain. The output is them pumped to shower containing 4 cubic feet of Cermedia MP2C media. I would pick the pump to deliver 5000gph min. to the shower. The skimmer would be a black 16" wide Waterway or other pool skimmer and use 3" or 4" from the skimmer to the sieve.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

MCA Koi toilet drains are just fine IF you know what glue to use.............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bottom Drains-30900_ghs.jpg  

Disagree MCA Koi toilet drains are just fine IF you know what glue to use............. not everyone can afford a 400.00 drain Vs. under 200.00 for Koi toilet. Sorry but would not allow me to edit my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by KDSD View Post
    MCA Koi toilet drains are just fine IF you know what glue to use.............

MCA
    If the objective is minimum cost, make your own drains from parts in the blue or orange DIY store. And if you are putting the drains into a concrete floor without a liner, you can form creating the two rings that would form a gasket around the liner.
    Attached Files Attached Files