Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Proper type of concrete question

Fry

Proper type of concrete question

I need to use concrete to create some forms. Specifically, I have a box made of concrete block for a section of a settlement chamber, and need to use concrete to change its interior shape to a cylinder, and the bottom to a vortex shape. The job is way too small to hire a professional gunite injection, so I am wondering if there isn't a proper mix of concrete that I can manually work the surface. Are there any experts out there that can advise me?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Todd

I am not a concrete expert.

Are you trying to "stucco" the inside of concrete block? or it sounds like you need to "pour" more concrete to make a cylinder with cone shape sloping bottom.

If true, and not hiring a gunite professional, then you will need to build a form and fill with a concrete mixture (rock, sand, cement). A "six-sack" mixture is what I would use.

You might consider using a section of large concrete pipe.

I have a plastic water tank I will sell you cheap!

If you need a guide on setting up the cone, check out this video starting at around the 6 minute mark:
    https://youtu.be/39xT5xzNu3s

There is a formula that you have to look for, from which you use to cut a piece of plastic to use to form the vortex bottom using concrete. Good luck. And when you find the formula, please post. I didn't get that far since it was something I have no pressing need for now.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    If you need a guide on setting up the cone, check out this video starting at around the 6 minute mark:
    https://youtu.be/39xT5xzNu3s

There is a formula that you have to look for, from which you use to cut a piece of plastic to use to form the vortex bottom using concrete. Good luck. And when you find the formula, please post. I didn't get that far since it was something I have no pressing need for now.
    Thanks! That gave me a couple of good ideas, at the very least. I have to create a settlement chamber around 1000 gal total, so the 55 gal drum will not work for me. I am building 4 boxes from 4" wide concrete block, with common walls. The bottom portion will contain the vortex and the rest of the input/output is really the same as described in the YouTube video you found. I will use mortar with a product that I bought at HPI (Henry Products) to increase the 'stickiness' and strength of the mortar to form the vortex at the bottom. The idea of using a piece of PVC to smooth out the walls of the vortex was a good idea. I will use that. Then instead of the thin-set, I will simply epoxy paint the concrete surface.

I was then planning on making the top half of the 'box' into a cylinder, the area above the vortex, but I am wondering it that is really necessary. The fluid motion created by the vortex may be sufficient so that the additional effort of making the top half cylindrical may not be necessary. Would love some opinions on this.

I also like the idea of the uniseal. I will have to look for that product. I was hoping that the concrete around the 4" PVC might be sufficient, but probably not good enough.

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,
    Todd

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Proper type of concrete question-cone_formula.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tpaulus3 View Post
    Thanks! That gave me a couple of good ideas, at the very least. I have to create a settlement chamber around 1000 gal total, so the 55 gal drum will not work for me. I am building 4 boxes from 4" wide concrete block, with common walls. The bottom portion will contain the vortex and the rest of the input/output is really the same as described in the YouTube video you found. I will use mortar with a product that I bought at HPI (Henry Products) to increase the 'stickiness' and strength of the mortar to form the vortex at the bottom. The idea of using a piece of PVC to smooth out the walls of the vortex was a good idea. I will use that. Then instead of the thin-set, I will simply epoxy paint the concrete surface.

I was then planning on making the top half of the 'box' into a cylinder, the area above the vortex, but I am wondering it that is really necessary. The fluid motion created by the vortex may be sufficient so that the additional effort of making the top half cylindrical may not be necessary. Would love some opinions on this.

I also like the idea of the uniseal. I will have to look for that product. I was hoping that the concrete around the 4" PVC might be sufficient, but probably not good enough.

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,
    Todd
    You're welcome, Todd. And Richard, thanks for posting the formula. I hope I can use it someday soon.

Fry
    You're welcome, Todd. And Richard, thanks for posting the formula. I hope I can use it someday soon.
    I used the formulas yesterday and it worked well. Now I have to do the concrete work to see it turn into a vortex! So, it is starting to shape up into a real pond.
    Regards,
    Todd