Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ricshaw
  • 1 Post By ricshaw

Thread: Level Sensor

Level Sensor

I'm looking to replace my current system of automatically refilling my pond with new water using a mechanical level control valve called a Hudson valve. The foremost reason is that I would like to refill from my waterfalls instead of refilling directly into the pond. With the Hudson valve, I have no choice but to put the valve at the pond. I like that the new water trickles from the waterfalls, allowing for aeration as well as to further the degassing of chlorine from mains water (that I've treated with sodium thiosulfate).

So, I am going to attach a 24vac control valve at the top of the waterfalls, and connect the control valve with a level sensor to an Ooensprinkler controller. Can anyone recommend a suitable and reliable level sensor? If possible, one that I can just order from Amazon? Thanks!

MCA
    Even with a water level sensor, I would back that up with a timer. For example use something like a sprinkler zone. So even if the water level sensor think wanter is needed, the timer will not open a value except for X minutes on Y days. That way a problem with the water sensor does not cause an overfill.

Very useful advice, Mike. Thanks. I got to thinking about it more, and the advice applies as well to dealing with water leaks in the garden, something far too common and far too difficult to troubleshoot.

When a master valve is shut off, the leak doesn't occur anymore. The master valve turns is on only when the valve is expected to turn on.

It is so much easier to do these days, with controllers, valves, sensors, and actuators becoming off-the-shelf, and the sofrware being available as open-source. And there's an app for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Even with a water level sensor, I would back that up with a timer. For example use something like a sprinkler zone. So even if the water level sensor think wanter is needed, the timer will not open a value except for X minutes on Y days. That way a problem with the water sensor does not cause an overfill.
    My YouTube Koi Pond Auto Fill Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQHYbCjvLg4
    yerrag likes this.

Thanks Ricshaw! That's beautiful. The most elegant designs are the ones that are simple, in my opinion.

Where did you put the level float switch? I plan on putting the level float switch in the settlement chamber, and not in the pond, where the wavy water caused by aeration causes the water level to fluctuate.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Thanks Ricshaw! That's beautiful. The most elegant designs are the ones that are simple, in my opinion.

Where did you put the level float switch? I plan on putting the level float switch in the settlement chamber, and not in the pond, where the wavy water caused by aeration causes the water level to fluctuate.
    Not my idea, just sharing what a club member shared at a Koi club meeting. I have not made one yet.

yerrag likes this.

That's actually very nice. Thanks Rickshaw.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk