Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: 75w UV in Sieve

MCA

75w UV in Sieve

Prototype up and running. I purchased a Jebao 75W UV on eBay for $155. The quartz sleeve inserts into a plastic cup via a compression fitting. The OD of the cup is approximate 2 1/8" in diameter. I used a piece of polypropylene I had from a previous project and put a 2 1/8" hole in it. The plastic cup with the quartz sleeve pressed into the hole very firmly. The piece of plastic fits across the back end of the sieve like a cover. The bottom of the cup with the compression fitting sits around 2.5" from the top edge of the sieve. That is where the water level stays with the FF pump running. Of course when the pump stops the water level will rise and go close to the top edge of the sieve. If the compression fitting holds, water should not enter the quartz sleeve.

If this continues to work, after a week of so I may cut my US3 cover into two pieces. The back piece would be long enough to cover the inlet chamber up to the weir. The remains part of the cover would be for over the sieve screen. With a two piece cover I can clean the screen without bother the UV assembly. Of course I would turn the UV off if removing a cover to avoid a UV burn of the eye. I would make a ballast cover, a length of 3" pipe, to keep the sun and rain off the ballast. You can see in the photos I just finished as we got a summer shower.

What I like about this configuration is there is zero added back pressure to a water pump, no special wall mounting space needed and, no installation pipe and fittings have to be purchased...other than for a ballast house. Once I know this is a go, I will put another UV unit into my other US3 and remove the remaining 55w unit on the skimmer circuit. FYI, I am running around 4500gph through each sieve. With a second UV running, my UV pond turnover would be factionally over 1 hour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 75w UV in Sieve-img_1088.jpg   75w UV in Sieve-img_1087.jpg   75w UV in Sieve-img_1086.jpg   75w UV in Sieve-img_1085.jpg   75w UV in Sieve-img_1084.jpg  

Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

MCA
    I concluded that this approach does not work for my pond system. Likely too much water travels too far from the lamp. So next week I will be remove it and go to Plan B.

MCA
    Plan B implemented yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 75w UV in Sieve-img_1095.jpg  

Is that an inline UV system Mike? Looks nice. Is it Plan B because it costs more than Plan A?

MCA
    It is a 400w viper. Nice as there was minimal plumbing impact and no added backpressure. I removed all out UV from the system. It cost a lot more. But like buying a Flowfriend pump, you get what you pay for.

I had to google it. That is some high-tech piece of equipment! When will you get an RDF?

MCA
    Not likely without a winning lottery ticket. We are spending our money on photography trips. We go to Alaska in August to shoot brown bears for a couple of weeks.

Besides, I am very happy with my two US3 units with 200 micron screens.

As long as you're not taking selfies with the brown bears, I'm okay with you not trading 200 micron for 40 micron fines.

MCA
    Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    As long as you're not taking selfies with the brown bears, I'm okay with you not trading 200 micron for 40 micron fines.

I still have an Aquadyne 4.4 bead filter on the skimmer circuit to polish the water.