Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Koi pond being built

Nisai
    How many gallons do you think this pond will be? (including pipes and filters)

19.5' long x 11.5' wide x 5.5' at one bottom drain 5.3' at the other

The pond has dry stack block wall to be rebar and concrete filled tomorrow.

Filter pit has mortored wall to be rebar and concrete filled tomorrow.

Filter temp in to check space and positioning
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Koi pond  being built-30.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-41.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-46.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-48.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-50.jpg  

New Koi pond  being built-51.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-52.jpg  

Nisai

Spaghetti to organize

Put all the rigid and flex PVC through the wall .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Koi pond  being built-47.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-54.jpg  

Nisai

KingKong

I was told roughly $10 a square foot. The pond is about 500 square feet

Polyurea would cost about $5,000 compare to $350 for a liner. If this was a poly job i would render all the wall with mortor and do a concrete floor. I would cost atleast another $1500 plus labor time.

Jeff is my numbers about right?

Thankyou very much. Number one, what kinda slope are you putting on the bottom, Have you poured it already? Any chance you can modify that a bit like allot to move that solid stuff to the bottom drain? Those numbers are what I expected. $10 a square. Still reading..... OK great no pour yet. Wow, my mistake, you have two bottom drains 5'-2 and 5'-5. What are the sides alond block wall in depth?

I love it!

Looks really good..

Ya know. as much as I am happy that my pond is done. I kinda miss tinkering with all that plumbing and crap.. Its a headache but equals brain stimulator for me.

Pond looks really good RHK.. Nice shape and you can tell you put some homeworks into it. Your filter room also looks like ou have left room for something else if need be..

Joe

Smile

Lets see size wise 20 x 12 x 4.5= 1080 cubic ft x7.4 = 7992 US gallons or
    div by 264 (US gal) is 30.3 tons in pond only + filter tanks
    Your good for 30 lbs. of koi with a mature filter

Tosai
    Square footage roughly will be 565. So polyurea would be around $5650.00 plus all of your penetrations. They are as follows:

$65.00 ea for 2"
    $100.00 ea for 4"

Roughly around $6000.00 job.

However, I do not want to go on a sales mission, but there is no comparison between polyurea and a rubber liner. It's like apples and oranges.....

For whatever it's worth, just did 3 jobs in the last month where I had to remove the existing rubber liner which had failed.

As for the pipe, just received some paperwork from the manufacturer. It indicates as per our conversation, white is not recommended for underground use. Getting the specs on black and brown. I have worked with both of these. The brown has always been more rigid and actually is less likely to become oval shaped once it has been cut. As you probably noticed, when cutting your black pvc flex, it became oval.

I will try to get the specs posted later. As it is good information for all of us.

Jeff

Smile

If you have help I would pour the floor with 6 inches of concrete with steel. Round up all your corners on the bottom and float some pool coat on the block. If you did the work yourself with help I bet it wouldn't be that bad. You don't need a concrete pump, just a concrete mixer that dumps. You start a day break I bet the bottom would be completed by high noon. Add another 3 hours for the tie beam on top and block cells dedicated while you got the muscles working and the equipment in order. Rock solid! One nice thing about concrete products, it adheres to PVC.
    Good luck and thanks for the scoop Jeff.

Nisai
    Thanks all for the compliments

The bottom drain is installed in concrete and the floor of the pond is dirt. The outer edge of the pond is 4' and taper to both bottom drain.

It not easy to wheel barrow concrete back 100' with 2 hill with 4' rise each. 12 full contractor barrow per yard by 7 yards. I will be on the ground with a a full barrow of concrete all over me. The extra cost of pumping is worth it. I looked at a bunch of different way and this is the best i could come up with. Unless you are able to put the concrete truck beside your work site and have no hill. It's very easy to tip a barrow full of concrete. That will be a mess to clean bye bye grass

What is pool coat?

Jeff

Where and why did the 3 liner job that you redid failed? I hope the black PVC flex is okay since it's kinda too late.

KeoKoi

I do enjoy tinkering and building the pond i'm just getting tired. I'm hoping alot of the heavy work is done. I did alot of hand digging in clay soil, reatining wall with 8" x 16" x 12" solid concrete about 350 blocks, concrete blocks over 500. I can't wait to get the filter installed that will be fun.

The pond is coming together really nice!!! Keep us posted with each phase..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast