Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Koi pond being built

Nisai
    I will take some pictures tomorrow of the concrete work. It's going to be crazy tomorow alot to do before the concrete set. I had them come to do the two footer with 4.5 yard of concrete. It took 20 minutes to do the actual pumping.

OK, don't kill yourself, its goen good. I was talken about a concrete mixer that you put sand and concrete in, the paddles mix it and then you dump right there on the job. Set it up 3 feet from the pond. Pumping is always easier, just trying to save you coin for all the koi you will need.
    I would put a base coat of Portland cement plaster (stucco) on the block say 3/8 in thick to even the sides. Then put a typical pool fin like marbletite, thoroseal over that for a final. Nice

Nisai
    KingKong

It would take about 7 tons of material that i would have to wheel barrow to the back yard. Rent or buy a mixer plus the man power to mix and pour. Bag of concrete will be easier to move alittle more than buying a raw material. It would take 300 bags of concrete to do 7 yards. That i would have to move from the driveway to the back yard. HomeDepot has 80 lbs bag for $3.19 (most place $5.00) a bag that is $1000 just for bag concrete plus labor. It will cost me less than $1000 for concrete and pumping. Can you calculate the cost to buy loose material? When doing large area ready mix is the best. Exspecially if you are doing a floor. The first batch will start to set before the 5th batch is made. Your floor won't be as strong.

With in 2-1/2 hours from the start of pouring my pond and filter footer I had 4 courses of cement block (164 8" block) dry stack in the pond.

Nisai
    King Kong

I've tried to save money as much as possible. This project will be over 20k in material. Both filter is bought used and lots of research to buy the supply at the best price. Thanks for helping me save money for kois. I'm gonna be broke after building the pond no money left for KOI

RHK, I am interested in how you are going to do the TPR's though the liner and what type of mastic (if u will) you will use to connect the liner to bottom Drain.. ?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by redhotkoi
    King Kong

I've tried to save money as much as possible. This project will be over 20k in material. Both filter is bought used and lots of research to buy the supply at the best price. Thanks for helping me save money for kois. I'm gonna be broke after building the pond no money left for KOI
    I am sure Dunkel can cut you a deal on polyurea, if you want to go that route...

Smile

Sounds like you did your homework Redhot, whatever we can do to help let us know. Lookin good! My pond is going on 5 years, still not complete and Iam proud of it. That way you can devide the 20 k by 5 so the pond only costs 4 k. per year with no cost in electricity to boot. Thats not so bad!

Nisai
    I would love to go that route. But i'm sure he can't cut the price that much. With the cost of material, equipment and overhead. The only thing i don't like about liner is the folds other than that i think it will be fine. (got my finger crossed)

Dunkel

What problem did those liner pond have?

Thanks
    Andy

Tosai
    Andy,
    Sorry for the late reply. As far as the liner, one of them was dried up and had been sitting and exposed to sunlight, and the others had tears and leaks around the bulkheads.

Be very careful in this area. You may want to fill up the pond partway and have 2 to 3 people pulling on the edges to remove all the wrinkles on the bottom.

I recommend not cutting in bulkheads until you fill it up to 6" below the bulkhead. You may want to tape seams as well to eliminate anarobic pockets.

Be sure not to secure top edges until pond is completely full. You may want to wrap liner over edge and secure with stainless steel straps.

You can pick up a hilti gun and 22 cal and shoot 1 1/2" nails with 1" washer backing to secure to cinder block.

I will be gone until saturday, if you have anymore questions, my email is [email protected].

Pond looks great doing a great job.

Jeff

Very NIce!!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast