Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New Koi pond being built

Quote Originally Posted by redhotkoi
    I was looking at the PL stuff at HomeDepot.

It says not for under water use. Is it okay to use it?

Their is two different type. Roofing or window/door sealant.
    Its the window stuff.. comes in different colors woohoo.. I think I remember it says not for underwater use as well. The think with silicone is its for underwater use but the adhesive part to rubber doesnt really work to well.

Joe

Red, I'll add to the info "Secret Squirrel" gave ya. The PL is much better than silicone, I wouldn't use silicone in or around my pond if my life depended on it. The best stuff is a product called Sikaflex 291 it usually is available at Marine supply stores i.e., West Marine. Any marine grade Polyurathane caulk is the best for the job of sealing and gluing stuff in ponds.

If you don't have a boat yard or boat supply place close by, you can order it on-line from www.westmarine.com the item number is 174508 for the Black Sikaflex, another good one is 3M 4200 item number 593139. They are both $17.99 a tube, but well worth the $$$$$.

I have used PL around my pond but not underwater so I can't say yay, or nay for underwater use, as I always have a tube of Marine grade caulk around here somewhere.
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Nisai
    Thanks Joe and Chris

I will go to a boat store and check to see what they have

Andy

Nisai
    When using Polyurathane caulk how long should i wait before adding water?

If you can find the 3M 4200, it will normally dry before you can get done running your bead. Nah, just kidding, but it dries fast. Sikaflex maybe a few hours, PL maybe overnight. Depends if you are using it to fill gaps, or using it under a sealing ring, i.e. bottom drain. Filling gaps of course takes longer, putting it on a sealing ring you can add water almost instantly.

Just for reference, there is also a caulk that can be used under water called "Boat Life" Life Caulk, it is a polysulfide rubber and dries almost the instant water hits it, and sticks extremely well to wet or underwater surfaces as long as they are clean. Is is fish safe???? I never checked into it, but I'd use it.

Nisai

Updates

Made a little more progress on the pond.

Installed 30 more cement blocks on left side of the filter pit that is up against the bank. Backed fill arount the filter pit and pond. Flatten out the area for the patio. Painted the interior of the filter pit white with water sealer. Need to order a shed to go on top of the filter pit. Starting the installation of the filters and all the plumbing.

A couple pictures of the progress

Please look over my work and design and let me know what you think? Changes will be easier now than later.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Koi pond  being built-67.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-68.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-69.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-70.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-71.jpg  

New Koi pond  being built-72.jpg  

Redhot: You have one of the most orderly worksites I've ever seen. If your mind operates similarly, I know you have thought through all aspects of your plan. You've made a lot of progress for a DIY project. Looking good.

Nisai
    Thanks Mike

This project has been a dream of mine for many years. I work as a product engineer in the kitchen industry. Thinking things though and being paranoid is in my blood. Frozen pipes, broken valves is one of the things i'm concern about. The drain valve on the right vortex is on the floor (easier to operate since the Nexus will be blocking it). I'm gonna add another gate valve at the same position as the other . I'm concern that the water sitting right above the slab might freeze. I will add another 3" gate valve right before the sump as a safety. If a valve fail or accidently opened.
    I'm sure i over look something.

I wish i was further along, finding time is hard plus it is dark at 7:00 pm now. I get home from work at 5:00 pm to 6:00pm. Most of the work has to be done on weakend now.

I was outside last night with a flash light measuring the filter pit for the shed that is going on top.

Mike how did you cover up your filter pit?

Redhot, I've been so busy with work that I've not had any time do much of anything, and it just is not possible to get a freelancing carpenter these days. What I would like is a simple slant roof just to divert the rain and give a bit of shade, with open sides so easy to get things in & out .... but we have some code setback issues.

any updated reports???

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast