Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New Koi pond being built

Nisai

Talking

Made some more progress on the pond. I will post some pictures tomorrow. Hired a local shed company to come out and built a shed over the filter pit. I will insulate the wall and roof when i get some free time. Installed 190' foot of vinyle fencing around the back yard. One section is left opened incase I need to bring a skid loader buggie machine to the back yard and another section where i need to built an arbor.

Plumbing all the filter and pumps take awhile. I have working on these for awhile now. Getting closer.

The big news is I finally got the liner installed that baby is heavy 25' x 35'. Got the 2 bottom drained installed with 3m 5200 sealant. The bottle says it takes 48 hours until the sealant no longer feal tacky. Chris or anyone else that know. How long should i wait until putting in water?

RHK

If memory serves me well, you said the pond bottom was going to be dirt. Did you put a mortar coat on the walls as suggested. This was an excellent idea and one that will help you install your liner more smoothly and will eliminate it snagging on the cinder block and being punctured. Also, I would put the water in up to about 6" below your bulkheads and let it sit for at least a couple of days. This will allow the liner to "settle" in the soil and give you less stress over your buulhead connections later. I would still allow about 1" of additional slack in the liner for any additional settling the liner will do in the rainy months to come.

Pond and filter sump look great. Nice job for DIY. Looks like you've thought everything out first before doing the work. Some folks like to jump right into something without the forethought you've employed only to find they have forgotten something after it's too late-then they have to rip it out and start over. Lots of wasted time and expense.

Keep up the great work. Your patience in making sure it's done right the first time will pay big dividends for a long time

Regards

Mike

Nisai
    It has been along time since i updated this thread.

I have made some progress since last time. The liner was installed in November and bottom drain cut and sealed. Water was fill have way and winter rain and snow add 15" plus to the water. The TPR and skimmer was not cut this is how i left the pond over winter. The pond was drained in March and liner fold were taped TPR cut and sealed.

Rocks was placed on the back side of the pond. Granit cobler on front edge. I used 4" block on the top course to create a step for the cobler. I didn't want any liner exposed.

The front wall has the first coat of stucco Done with wire lathe and mortar.

You can also see new concrete tied into the old and brick paver layed on top of the concete pad. I'm still working on the pavers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Koi pond  being built-101.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-109.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-131.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-132.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-133.jpg  

Nisai

Filter House

Created a deck in the filter pit to make it nicer to enter and clean the filters. The decks hides the plumbing the pumps. Create a nice flat area with no obstacle. To trip and break. Hatches made to get the valves easily.

Shed is insulated and panel. Shelf installed for storage. Installed 60Amp sub-panel with lots of outlet and switches. Every water/air pump and UV has it own switch. Makes it easy to turn anything on or off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Koi pond  being built-93.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-94.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-95.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-106.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-100.jpg  

New Koi pond  being built-98.jpg  

Nisai
    Made my own eazy to go into the Nexus. Need to make another one for the Nitritech

If you are interested in more info about the construction let me know. I will post details. i'm happy with the results
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Koi pond  being built-118.jpg   New Koi pond  being built-126.jpg  

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by redhotkoi
    Made my own eazy to go into the Nexus. Need to make another one for the Nitritech

If you are interested in more info about the construction let me know. I will post details. i'm happy with the results
    Hey, I'm interested. What is that? Looks like an extended 5 gallon bucket with slots cut in it.

Oyagoi
    We are going to need to see exactly how you did that, materials list, step by step photos, explanation of water flow etc. We have folks here with vortexes that need help doing a DIY eazy.

Moved to the new Pond Construction forum.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Oyagoi
    waiting for those pics and explanation of your DIY easy....

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567