Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sac Koi Systems-- Opinions?

Sac Koi Systems-- Opinions?

I'm just curious what the general consensous on the www.sackoi.com advantage 10,000gallon systems is.... Pro's vs cons compared to a vortext with two 250g settling chambers... thanks

Dan

I'm working on a 12000gallon koi pond and am possibly going to be switching from thew sackoi setup to a vortex for part of the system is why I ask.. and Dunkel is doing the spraying after the gunite is done.... Unfortunately I won't have the lift up desk though=)

Sansai
    I have one (Adv 10 bead only), know several others that do. IMHO, the best bead filter you can buy. Very happy with mine. In normal operation mine is sitting behind a ~225gal Vortex, and 55gal Microstrainer (250 micron), then pump to Bead filter - Shower Filter. I think your compairson is odd, are you saying a Vortex, then 2 more vortexs with static filter media? Just mechanical or Bio?

oops sorry i was a littlre to vague. what I meant was there Complete setup(doesn't come with a vortex it comes with a overflow box and a strainer box) compared to how a vortex would work with it=)... Actually your setup sounds exactly like how we're going to be doing it.... with vortex's insteads of the sac koi overflow

actually I meant one vortex then a settling chamber then through the sac koi bead filter and pumps... Did you use the edectors? I'm thinking of going with only 3 returns into the pond opposed to the 5..

Sansai
    There "collection box" (I think thats what its called), is a cheaper easier way to do things. In a nice proper pond the mechanical load is small enough apparently the bead is fine by itself as a mechancial filter. Vortex is a better option, this is something else to clean (weekly flushes), that can extend the service interval of the bead. I ran just a bead and had to clean bead every 4 days on average. With more filtration in front it easily lasts a full week, which fits what I want to with pond maintenance. I don't beleive in there system, even though there filters are great. I would never have a pond without a Shower/TT or Aerated Moving Bed, or both.

right on that sounds like a good setup you have there.. I think I'm going to go very similar as yours do you have any pics of your pond, equipment room?

Tategoi
    I've seen their systems. The first problem I have is installing two pressurized units in a row. The first will make a big dent in the oxygen being carried by the water and the second will have to do it with what's left. High oxygen levels are a must for good nitrogen conversion. This would be most noticable in the summer mornings. Even to a poing of being a health hazard.

Another problem is pushing water through a unit similar to a sand filter. The glass will creat a high head requiring a larger pump to move the water through. Low head systems can easily pay for themselves when compared with the additional power necessary to move the water.

Well It's almost done.. Ended up gong with Gunite.. Dunkel (aquaticcoatings.com) Is going to be spraying the Polyurea in a few weeks and then as soon as the rock work is done Water goes in=) Pictures will be coming soon.. I'm still working on plumbing the 4"drain as well as the 250g vortex and 250g settling chamber and then I need to tackle my equipment room for the bead filter and pumps... I've got the plumbing about half done, just waiting for the rain to let up now so I can work on the returns and the Skimmer plumbing... Then I need to tackle my water distribution manifold for it=)

Quote Originally Posted by Bamm Bamm
    Well It's almost done.. Ended up gong with Gunite.. Dunkel (aquaticcoatings.com) Is going to be spraying the Polyurea in a few weeks and then as soon as the rock work is done Water goes in=) Pictures will be coming soon.. I'm still working on plumbing the 4"drain as well as the 250g vortex and 250g settling chamber and then I need to tackle my equipment room for the bead filter and pumps... I've got the plumbing about half done, just waiting for the rain to let up now so I can work on the returns and the Skimmer plumbing... Then I need to tackle my water distribution manifold for it=)
    Wow, 12K gal with spraying the Polyurea on the top of Gunite -- sounds great. Do you have any pix before spraying the Polyurea? Dunkel did the Polyurea job for my koi buddy David's 16K gal. And Dvaid is very happy with the excellent job by Dunkel.

--Dinh

My dad has some on his computer I'll have to get them from him to upload I believe he's at a Koi CLub meeting today..

Nisai
    can I see the picture too.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast