Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: concrete sealants

Tosai

concrete sealants

I have a small 1000 gallon concrete pond, i've noticed some waterloss in the waterfall and would like to use some sealant and repair any leaks. the waterfall is basically a small concrete "pond" at the top, when the water rises to the top it over flows into my pond.

the small concrete "pond" is where the water is leaking and I would like to clean it, sand it down, then use some sorta concrete sealant to cover up the leaks.

what would u guys recommend as a waterproof sealant?

thanks

Clean and etch existing concrete or masonry with phosphoric acid. Rinse off powder or residue with clean water. Coat bowl or tank cavity with Thoroseal mixed with Acryl 60 to thickness desired. Dry and off you go.

You actually should be using MURIATIC ACID to etch the concrete. - One cup for 2 gallons of water should do the trick in a insecticide sprayer. Wash thoroughly, dry completely (maybe use a weed burner blow torch hooked up to a propane tank for this job). Anyway, without drying completely you run the risk of your sealant not properly holding. I would recommend Sani-tred to coat it. Thoroseal works but you'll have to leach the lime out before you can use it, just like any other concrete base product.

Hydrochloric (muriatic) acid is a very dangerous acid with strong fumes to work with. For the last 15 years I have been working with 40% Phosphoric acid. Will do the job just as well and you will walk away much healthier.

Correct me if I am wrong but I had thought Muriatic acid also results in some ponds to fluctuate the Ph so it would not be stable even with the sealent. I had heard this before so please correct me..

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    Correct me if I am wrong but I had thought Muriatic acid also results in some ponds to fluctuate the Ph so it would not be stable even with the sealent. I had heard this before so please correct me..

Joe
    I thought Muriatic acid was used to help leach out the lime in concrete? and that if a pond had High PH you could add small amounts of it to lower ph or to stablize it? Also correct me if I have been misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M.
    I thought Muriatic acid was used to help leach out the lime in concrete? and that if a pond had High PH you could add small amounts of it to lower ph or to stablize it? Also correct me if I have been misinformed.
    I will try. Muriatic (HCl) acid does react to alkaline materials such as lime. That is why it is used to "etch" the existing concrete surface to pit it creating a better bonding surface for adhesion of new product coating.

HCl has a ph less than 7 probably around 2, so if added to pond water of a Ph of 8 it would for sure lower it to a degree.

If you etch with HCl, flush the acid reidue well with water. Then you can neutralize the remaining acid residue and salts with a base detergent or liquid bleach. Then it would be a good idea to use a salt remover with a stiff brush. The salt residue can interfere with adhesion of a new coating.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong
    I will try. Muriatic (HCl) acid does react to alkaline materials such as lime. That is why it is used to "etch" the existing concrete surface to pit it creating a better bonding surface for adhesion of new product coating.

HCl has a ph less than 7 probably around 2, so if added to pond water of a Ph of 8 it would for sure lower it to a degree.

If you etch with HCl, flush the acid reidue well with water. Then you can neutralize the remaining acid residue and salts with a base detergent or liquid bleach. Then it would be a good idea to use a salt remover with a stiff brush. The salt residue can interfere with adhesion of a new coating.
    Thank You, KK

Oyagoi
    Muraitic acid will do those things if left here, but if rinsed and dried thoroughly then sealed properly, it won't be there any more. At Home Depot both Lanco and Crossco have products for waterproofing that will work well on ponds. I believe they are acrylic base not concrete based. I think they run about $50 for a 5 gallon can. Next time I am there I will grab the specific names of them.

Oyagoi
    Here is a link to a Lanco clear product that works http://www.lancopaints.com/english/p...ex_primer.html
    but......

there is a much better one made by Blanco Group of Max Chemical called Crossco 5500, or the new one Crossco Watergaurd, they have a few products that will work excellent at a price waaay under Sanitred's, and with 20 yr warranties. I am not sure where to get them in the US, down here they r in every hardware including Ho De po and are used to seal any concrete for any use. Works awesome and is very affordable. Acrylic polymer base. If you can't find it up there, call the Home Depot down here (Bayamon, PR- 00956) and ask them if they will ship it to you. Sanitred is great, but very pricey.
    'Sometimes it take a talking donkey to turn things around in the right direction, ask Balaam."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast