Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: reco. media for BK shower

reco. media for BK shower

Hello:

I am planning to build a new pond. I need some recommendations. due to limited space, I thought I give BK Shower a try but I can't afford the really stuff so I want build one myself. question is what's the best media I should use? again, I can afford the really media that Momo uses in their real BK setup.

thanks,

Steve

Too many options

Many use LavaRock as a substitute for BH media and I am a big fan of the stuff. You also might want to check into Feather Rock as a possibility. It is very lightweight, easily broken/cut/carved into smaller pieces, and extremely porous. The porous structure of the stone should make it an exceptional media for bacterial growth.
    I plan to use some in my filtration when I finish up our remodeling, but I'm not quite there yet. According to Doc Conrad roughly the same amount of water passes through the stone as passes over it, which should make it a good performer in any type of shower or tower.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Daihonmei
    All the internal pores fill and clog, at least to the point where the statement "as much water passes through as around" would become false.

You might stick John Smith with a sharp stick and fond out about his find of a new porous media.

I was told that lava rock won't work well because its pores clog. Is this mean there will be maintenance periodically? how often?

Steve

It means that once lava rock clogs, there isn't really much you can do except replace it. Even when used in showers, the slough-off from the bacterial colonization will eventually clog it. Usually takes 2-3 years for it to happen.

The pumice or cinder stone allows SOME water to pass through it but not equal to what flows around it. And, yes it is only temporary, until it too clogs up - it's also like working with razor blades so make sure you wear gloves when handling it.

Are you talking those little red lava rock that people put on their lawns? or those they use in the BBQ? I guess there are specific lava rocks for pond filters, right? 2-3 yrs replacement is not bad if it cost significantly less. thanks!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar
    It means that once lava rock clogs, there isn't really much you can do except replace it. Even when used in showers, the slough-off from the bacterial colonization will eventually clog it. Usually takes 2-3 years for it to happen.

The pumice or cinder stone allows SOME water to pass through it but not equal to what flows around it. And, yes it is only temporary, until it too clogs up - it's also like working with razor blades so make sure you wear gloves when handling it.

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee
    All the internal pores fill and clog, at least to the point where the statement "as much water passes through as around" would become false.

You might stick John Smith with a sharp stick and fond out about his find of a new porous media.
    Really? I would like to hear more about that.

Are John's meds kicking in lately? He hasn't been around much. A new porous media. Interesting. Does it have dieletcric properties that cause it to expand and contract so the pores remain open, or is it just the regular kind? I would like to hear what ol' John came up with. I bet it's good. Where has he been lately?

Like John says, always test your media in a drum of water for a couple weeks and test all water parameters afterwards, prior to using it.

Bakki Showers

Check out our thread on Koiphen- "San Antonio Koi pond" under pond construction, we constructed a DIY bakki shower. The shower was much less expensive then those on the market, and much quieter. The low rpm pumps are louder then the two five tier bakki shower towers. I did use a mix of Bakki House media "old style and new style". We are still working on system, water is clear, but system has only been running for a week. Can not tell you how well it works yet. Also check out HenryC's pond construction on koiphen he did the same thing. We left off the additional holes along the top verticle edge of each tray, beleive we are getting plenty of air via sucktion from the top tray.