Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: retro drain

Tosai

retro drain

Has anyone used one of these???If so do they work
    http://www.allaboutkoi.co.uk/portabl...878d7810ed10cd

I've not seen that brand before, but looks similar to the Tetra-retro drain.
    Most likely would work OK.

Aqua art makes a nice one that can take a 2", 3", or 4" pipe. Gives you more choice in pipe size.

I used the Tera Retro Drain as shown below and it works fine for me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails retro drain-tetraretrodrain.jpg  

Tosai
    many thanks i think i give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by dragonkoi
    many thanks i think i give it a try
    I have one of the "Retro Drains" It is lying on the side of my house in a "dead pond things I've tried and didn't work" work basket.
    I have a Savio Solids pump. The hose from the pump goes into a plant basket to pull the solids out. The basket sold by pond stores for underwater plants with the tiny holes is wonderful for it.
    The basket sits in the back of my UBERMONGUS filtration system. It works very very well. I just thought of using the basket recently and it is so easy that I could kick myself for not figuring it out sooner. It gets all the loose stuff out. I rinse it out at the same time I rinse out the skimmer basket.
    The Savio pump keeps the bottom very clean. There is no need to put a hole in the liner either but you do have a hose running through the pond.
    I don't seem to lose fish in it either like I did with the bottom drain.
    LBD
    A good friend will bail you out of jail,
    your best friend will help you hide the body......
    LizardBeth

I DIY all my retro drains. They work fine.

DragonKoi

As an installer of retrofitted systems and new ponds, if you didn't start with a bottom drain you can still get an effective service from one of the retro ones mentioned above. I've personally had one of the Tetra Vacuum Drains on my 1200 gal Quarantine System now for 7 years. I went from 2"-3" pipe which gravity feeds my vortex filter. This was only because the finished pond is raised 16" above ground. The vortex is an oval 110 gal Kormex tank which has 3 rows of mat which creates a circular shape to trap the debris before being pulled out by the intake from the pump. It has worked great.

Now having said that and installed several on customer's ponds, I am now sold on AquaArts retro drain design. There are two sizes - one for up to 1400 gal ponds and a larger one for up to 4000 gal ponds. I was skeptical at first concerning whether the pipe running to it would be a good fit for the cut offs for the couplers which comes with it. Well, after setting it up for a customer we're currently working with, it has surpassed my expectations greatly. Not only is it a good fit, it's a very good fit. The smaller one handles pipe sizes of 1.5, 2 and 3" in size. The larger handles 2,3 and 4" pipe sizes. It's a little more money, but well worth it. I'll probably be changing mine. The simple reason is: the way the pipe lays on the bottom of the pond versus the Tetra which has the pipe coming directly out of the top. As your fish grow, they've become accustom to being able to swim "under" the pipe. When they get bigger, they're not able to do that and can damage themselves when spooked.

So there you have it - the decision is yours - hope you make a good one for your system.

Mike

I just mailed a check to Mr Bickal (for his new informative money saving CD about everything you need to know about doing it yourself ponds) but in the mean time, I am digging a new pond. It is going to be 10x15 by five feet deep.
    Do I want two bottom drains? One bottom drain?
    Whatcha think?
    LBD

# of drains, depends, How big is the pond, how many pumps do you want to run? A single 4" drain to a Sequence 3600gph pump is a good fit.

Tosai
    you should get a better pull from one drain..

And mike and everyone else thanks for your help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast